Boxcars

  • mark_jacob2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Was looking through some slides last night and came across a photo of
      a 40' boxcar, painted dark green, that I shot on the NYS&W at Butler
      Nj in 1/98. It is stencilled "F. 5-79", meaning it was painted on the
      FJ&G. Looks like an FJ&G 138000-series ex PC car, the only thing is,
      it is numbered 710 and has a white "PRR" logo. ANybody know anything
      about this car? I remember reading on this list a while back about
      some FJ&G boxacrs being dark green, but the number and "PRR" logo
      seem strange. Any ideas?

      Also, I am trying to figure out the FJ&G/LASB fleet of ex PC boxcars.
      Two stumbling blocks are that while the numbers would seem to
      indicate it happened, I can find no photographic evidence of any FJ&G
      138000 series cars being restencilled LASB. Has anybody seen an LASB
      138000 series 40' boxcar? Second: I have deduced that since in 1979
      the FJ&G had 32 126000 series and 60 138000 series 40' boxcars and 95
      153000 series 50' boxcars (out of the original 100 40' cars and 138
      50' cars acquired in 1975) while the LASB had 89 cars at this time,
      that 8 of the FJ&G 126000s and 43 of the 153000s were transferred to
      LASB between 1975 and 1979 and that the LASB had aquired 38 of the
      127000 series 40' cars in the meantime (no evidence of FJ&G ever
      having 127000s but LASB did) to arrive at 89 cars for LASB in 1979.
      In 1986, LASB had 220 cars, I take this to mean that an additional
      131 of the FJ&G cars were assigned to LASB in the early 80s. All of
      this assumes that only 38 boxcars were ever acquired to the LASB and
      the rest came from FJ&G. Can anybody provide any additional info to
      support or refute any of this?

      Mark
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2002
        Mark J- The F-79 on the box cars means the date the car was light
        weighed.It use to be required every 5 years. The "F" stood that it was
        weighed in Fonda.If we caught a car outdated on the light weight,we
        would weigh it on the scales in Fonda, then also restenciled it. I use
        to have a box of stencils and spray paint with me on the engine.I dont
        know any other company would do it,but it was one of our jobs.If we
        caught a foreign car outdated,the company would make profits off it.
        Mark