Re: [FJGRailroad] Where was Rural Ave?

  • Dave Brennan
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002

           There is a big buss in the orange & cream colors that sits alongside Hohler Rd. (Caroga Lake) with no glass and a few bullet holes.

       paul larner wrote:

      One of those small local buses is in a junk yard at Ballston Lake and
      another is behind a house a short ways east of the dump on the Turkey Farm
      Road, south side and painted brown with green trim.

      PKL

      >From: "cf76triumph" <skalbfel@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Where was Rural Ave?
      >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:04:48 -0000
      >
      >I remember the 1940 route adjustment since I started school at
      >Kingsboro school in 1947. I always rode home in the afternoon, since
      >the trip would have been too long in the morning looping around
      >downtown. At that time I think the route only ran "clockwise". The
      >school stop was in front of the Fulton County Silk Mill.  I believe
      >the regular driver was still Fred Dye, although he must have been
      >close to retirement then. All us little brats had to be sitting before
      >he would start up. More than once we met a train crossing Kingsboro
      >never over 3 or 4 mph.
      >My Mom bought school bus tickets at the FJG office on the Four
      >Corners. I think each ticket was worth 25 cents. The standard bus was
      >those small Brills, which was a perfect size for the route. Too bad
      >none of those were preserved. They were pretty modern compared to the
      >old motor stage I can remember riding up to Sacandaga when I was real
      >little.
      >Saul

      in New York State at
      http://ny.existingstations.com/

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines

    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
        Re: [FJGRailroad] Where was Rural Ave?
            There is a big buss in the orange & cream colors that sits alongside Hohler Rd. (Caroga Lake) with no glass and a few bullet holes.

        Is this an FJG bus?  Where the heck is Hohler Road?

        Gino
      • Dave Brennan

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
            Is this an FJG bus? ...

            Gino,

            No. It may have been one of newer Mohawk Valley Transit buses. A few
            years ago my brother showed me where the bus was. Somewhere I've got
            all the details written down. The only thing I know for sure is it
            was never an FJ&G bus.

            Walt
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
              I'll try to find out this week or next. The best way to identify them is to
              find the serial numbers on the body.

              PKL