Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together

  • Dick Ryall
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
      Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
      Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
      shape then and by now must be dust.
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
        >From: Dick Ryall <dryall@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
        >Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 11:40:53 -0600
        >
        >Gino I`m leaving tomorrow to drive east, going to Nelsonville first, and
        >to Gloversville about 20 Sept 02. Are you in Northville or
        >Saratoga?Would like to make contact while there. dick
        >
        >"Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:
        > >
        > > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time!
        >We
        > > met at the Boxcar
        > > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great
        >Sacandaga
        > > Park Station!
        > > On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park.
        >Even
        > > a pit bull didn't deter us
        > > from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
        > > platform is still in place
        > > If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found!
        > > trip to Sacandaga Park
        > > isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub! There's all kinds
        >of
        > > great pictures of the park
        > > to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!
        > >
        > > A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the
        >Gloversville
        > > Library. At the library we were
        > > treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die"
        >on
        > > the piano. Movies were next
        > > on the agenda. We got to see a video tour of Steve Lamora's great
        >FJ&G
        > > layout, then we watched
        > > movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels. You couldn't tell which was the
        > > layout and what was the actual
        > > FJ&G! The slide show put on by Paul Larner was awesome. It was
        >filled by
        > > plenty of never before shots
        > > of the FJ&G! Last, but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
        > > Restaurant hit the spot!
        > >
        > > Thanks to Glenn Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and
        >Andy
        > > Fusco for making the long trip!
        > > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of
        >people
        > > we have here. My wife ate
        > > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it
        >sweetie!
        > >
        > > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the
        >great
        > > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
        > > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
        > > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
        > > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're
        >all
        > > troopers for putting up with
        > > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
        > >
        > > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really
> [...]

        Okay next year I'll go.............

      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
          > Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
          > Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
          > shape then and by now must be dust.

          > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

          The old Gloversville Trolley barn burned down a few years ago!!!
        • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
            Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
            Yes, I remember the old JM Fields.  If only I had known what these buildings were back then!!  Are any of their facilities left standing?  After reading a small history book as a kid on the SRC, I rode my bike up and down Van Vranken searching for the trolley scrap yard to no avail.  I did have a lot of great times searching the old Schenectady Hotel next to the D&H, the old Schenectady station remains (stairways) that we found trackside across from Jack in the Box, and the freight offices that are still under the bridge next to Pinhead Susans.  Gee, if we tear it all down, where will the hobos sleep?  Aren't all the old D&H buildings still left in the woods at Mohawk Yard, or are they gone too?

              Steve Myers

            .

            On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:47:36 -0400 "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@...> writes:
            The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

            Malcolm Horton

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
              Sorry Gino nothing here........

            • Lee Morelli
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                  I missed something here. Where was the dead trolley yard?