Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together

  • Lee Morelli
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
      Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thought the group had died and I had not been notified.

      BTW, I sent pictures to Gino that I took on August tenth.
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
        > I'm still here quietly reading your messages. Hasn't been to much to
        > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
        > Guys dept. store again.
        >
        > Steve Myers

        Ah yes, Two Guys! Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
        Parkway in Schenectady? They had some good stuff too! The building also
        used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company! Those were
        neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street! Oh Steve,
        I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
        in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

        Gino
      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
          Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
          Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thought the group had died and I had not been notified.

          BTW, I sent pictures to Gino that I took on August tenth.

          Where did you send them Uncle Lee?
        • Malcolm Horton
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
            The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

            Malcolm Horton

            > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
            > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
            > Guys dept. store again.
            >
            > Steve Myers

            Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
            Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
            used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
            neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
            I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
            in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

            4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
              Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
              The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

              Malcolm Horton

               Good to hear from you Malcolm!  You told me that the former cement
              business on Aqueduct Road in Schenectady is an old SRC barn too, right?
              I knew they had a barn on VanVranken but didn’t realize that the current
              business was the old structure!  The only pictures I have of VanVranken is
              the yards where the trolleys were destroyed, none of the buildings!
              Do you know if this was known as the Veeder Yards?  I see Veeder Yards
              mentioned in the SRC history books that I have, but never it’s location.  I know
              that the SRC had it’s shops and main barn on McClellan Street and they
              had the Fuller Barn down by the IUE hall...

              > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
              > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
              > Guys dept. store again.
              >
              > Steve Myers

              Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
              Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
              used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
              neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
              I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
              in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

              4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

              in New York State at
              http://ny.existingstations.com/

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705073027:HM/A=1182702/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-333>

              in New York State at
              http://ny.existingstations.com/

            • Stephen G. Myers
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                Yes, I remember the old JM Fields.  If only I had known what these buildings were back then!!  Are any of their facilities left standing?  After reading a small history book as a kid on the SRC, I rode my bike up and down Van Vranken searching for the trolley scrap yard to no avail.  I did have a lot of great times searching the old Schenectady Hotel next to the D&H, the old Schenectady station remains (stairways) that we found trackside across from Jack in the Box, and the freight offices that are still under the bridge next to Pinhead Susans.  Gee, if we tear it all down, where will the hobos sleep?  Aren't all the old D&H buildings still left in the woods at Mohawk Yard, or are they gone too?

                  Steve Myers

                .

                On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:47:36 -0400 "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@...> writes:
                The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

                Malcolm Horton

                > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                > Guys dept. store again.
                >
                > Steve Myers

                Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

                in New York State at
                http://ny.existingstations.com/

                in New York State at
                http://ny.existingstations.com/

              • Dick Ryall
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                  Gino I`m leaving tomorrow to drive east, going to Nelsonville first, and
                  to Gloversville about 20 Sept 02. Are you in Northville or
                  Saratoga?Would like to make contact while there. dick

                  "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

                  > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time! We
                  > met at the Boxcar
                  > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great Sacandaga
                  > Park Station!
                  > On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park. Even
                  > a pit bull didn't deter us
                  > from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
                  > platform is still in place
                  > If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found! A
                  > trip to Sacandaga Park
                  > isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub! There's all kinds of
                  > great pictures of the park
                  > to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!
                  >
                  > A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the Gloversville
                  > Library. At the library we were
                  > treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die" on
                  > the piano. Movies were next
                  > on the agenda. We got to see a video tour of Steve Lamora's great FJ&G
                  > layout, then we watched
                  > movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels. You couldn't tell which was the
                  > layout and what was the actual
                  > FJ&G! The slide show put on by Paul Larner was awesome. It was filled by
                  > plenty of never before shots
                  > of the FJ&G! Last, but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
                  > Restaurant hit the spot!
                  >
                  > Thanks to Glenn Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and Andy
                  > Fusco for making the long trip!
                  > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of people
                  > we have here. My wife ate
                  > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it sweetie!
                  >
                  > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the great
                  > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
                  > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
                  > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
                  > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're all
                  > troopers for putting up with
                  > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
                  >
                  > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really think
                  > you'll enjoy the trip!!!
                  >
                  > Gino DiCarlo
                  > FJG Group Moderator

                • Dick Ryall
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                    Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
                    Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
                    shape then and by now must be dust.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
> [...]
                      >Andy
                      > > Fusco for making the long trip!
                      > > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of
                      >people
                      > > we have here. My wife ate
                      > > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it
                      >sweetie!
                      > >
                      > > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the
                      >great
                      > > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
                      > > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
                      > > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
                      > > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're
                      >all
                      > > troopers for putting up with
                      > > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
                      > >
                      > > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really

                      Okay next year I'll go.............

                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                        > Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
                        > Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
                        > shape then and by now must be dust.

                        > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                        The old Gloversville Trolley barn burned down a few years ago!!!
                      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo

                          > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                          > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                          > Guys dept. store again.
                          >
                          > Steve Myers

                          Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                          Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                          used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                          neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                          I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                          in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                          Gino

                          Steve,

                          The building I’m talking about on VanVranken avenue is just down from
                          Anthony Street.  I can’t remember to save my life the name of it, but it
                          used to be a cement business.  Malcolm tells me that that was the trolley
                          barn!  I used to love walking the old Troy and Schenectady down to Aqueduct
                          Road and used to see these big bridge abutments and never knew until
                          I was older that it was part of the large SRC trolley bridge that crossed the
                          Mohawk!

                          Gino
                        • Dick Ryall
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                            Sorry Gino nothing here........

                          • Lee Morelli
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                              Your work address had changed and I resent them later on in the week.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                                I missed something here. Where was the dead trolley yard?