Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together

  • Dick Ryall
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 6, 2002
      Whats going on guys, ever since the big meeting, the email has been
      scarce. You guys have a problem?

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
        Funny you mention that Dick because we mentioned at he last meeting how the
        line went dead or nearly so. I believe we are all still here, just not as
        inquisitive for the time being.

        There will be a discussion on the FJ&G at the Hagaman Historical Soc.
        meeting Monday at 7 p.m. in the civic center (Pawling Hall) on Pawling Ave.
        in Hagaman.

        PKL

      • Stephen G. Myers
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
          I'm still here quietly reading your messages. Hasn't been to much to
          talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
          Guys dept. store again.

          Steve Myers

          .
          .

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Lee Morelli
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
            Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thought the group had died and I had not been notified.

            BTW, I sent pictures to Gino that I took on August tenth.

            "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

            > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time!  We
            > met at the Boxcar
            > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great Sacandaga
            > Park Station!
            > On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park.  Even
            > a pit bull didn't deter us
            > from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
            > platform is still in place
            > If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found!  A
            > trip to Sacandaga Park
            > isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub!  There's all kinds of
            > great pictures of the park
            > to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!
            >
            > A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the Gloversville
            > Library.  At the library we were
            > treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die" on
            > the piano.  Movies were next
            > on the agenda.  We got to see  a video tour of  Steve Lamora's great FJ&G
            > layout, then we watched
            > movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels.  You couldn't tell which was the
            > layout and what was the actual
            > FJ&G!  The slide  show put  on by Paul Larner was awesome.  It was filled by
            > plenty of never before shots
            > of the FJ&G!  Last,  but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
            > Restaurant hit the spot!
            >
            > Thanks to Glenn  Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and Andy
            > Fusco for making the long trip!
            > We enjoyed  everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of people
            > we have here.  My wife ate
            > dinner  with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!"  You said it sweetie!
            >
            > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the great
            > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
            > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!!  I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
            > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
            > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner!  They're all
            > troopers for putting up with
            > all the train talk!  Don't they hear enough about trains already?
            >
            > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open!  I really think
            > you'll enjoy the trip!!!
            >
            > Gino DiCarlo
            > FJG Group Moderator

            in New York State at
            http://ny.existingstations.com/

          • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
              > I'm still here quietly reading your messages. Hasn't been to much to
              > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
              > Guys dept. store again.
              >
              > Steve Myers

              Ah yes, Two Guys! Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
              Parkway in Schenectady? They had some good stuff too! The building also
              used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company! Those were
              neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street! Oh Steve,
              I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
              in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

              Gino
            • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
                Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
                Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thought the group had died and I had not been notified.

                BTW, I sent pictures to Gino that I took on August tenth.

                Where did you send them Uncle Lee?
              • Malcolm Horton
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
                  The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

                  Malcolm Horton

                  > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                  > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                  > Guys dept. store again.
                  >
                  > Steve Myers

                  Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                  Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                  used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                  neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                  I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                  in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                  4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
                    Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
                    The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

                    Malcolm Horton

                     Good to hear from you Malcolm!  You told me that the former cement
                    business on Aqueduct Road in Schenectady is an old SRC barn too, right?
                    I knew they had a barn on VanVranken but didn’t realize that the current
                    business was the old structure!  The only pictures I have of VanVranken is
                    the yards where the trolleys were destroyed, none of the buildings!
                    Do you know if this was known as the Veeder Yards?  I see Veeder Yards
                    mentioned in the SRC history books that I have, but never it’s location.  I know
                    that the SRC had it’s shops and main barn on McClellan Street and they
                    had the Fuller Barn down by the IUE hall...

                    > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                    > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                    > Guys dept. store again.
                    >
                    > Steve Myers

                    Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                    Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                    used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                    neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                    I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                    in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                    4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

                    in New York State at
                    http://ny.existingstations.com/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705073027:HM/A=1182702/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-333>

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                      Yes, I remember the old JM Fields.  If only I had known what these buildings were back then!!  Are any of their facilities left standing?  After reading a small history book as a kid on the SRC, I rode my bike up and down Van Vranken searching for the trolley scrap yard to no avail.  I did have a lot of great times searching the old Schenectady Hotel next to the D&H, the old Schenectady station remains (stairways) that we found trackside across from Jack in the Box, and the freight offices that are still under the bridge next to Pinhead Susans.  Gee, if we tear it all down, where will the hobos sleep?  Aren't all the old D&H buildings still left in the woods at Mohawk Yard, or are they gone too?

                        Steve Myers

                      .

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                        Gino I`m leaving tomorrow to drive east, going to Nelsonville first, and
                        to Gloversville about 20 Sept 02. Are you in Northville or
                        Saratoga?Would like to make contact while there. dick

                        "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

                        > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time! We
                        > met at the Boxcar
                        > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great Sacandaga
                        > Park Station!
                        > On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park. Even
                        > a pit bull didn't deter us
                        > from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
                        > platform is still in place
                        > If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found! A
                        > trip to Sacandaga Park
                        > isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub! There's all kinds of
                        > great pictures of the park
                        > to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!
                        >
                        > A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the Gloversville
                        > Library. At the library we were
                        > treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die" on
                        > the piano. Movies were next
                        > on the agenda. We got to see a video tour of Steve Lamora's great FJ&G
                        > layout, then we watched
                        > movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels. You couldn't tell which was the
                        > layout and what was the actual
                        > FJ&G! The slide show put on by Paul Larner was awesome. It was filled by
                        > plenty of never before shots
                        > of the FJ&G! Last, but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
                        > Restaurant hit the spot!
                        >
                        > Thanks to Glenn Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and Andy
                        > Fusco for making the long trip!
                        > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of people
                        > we have here. My wife ate
                        > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it sweetie!
                        >
                        > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the great
                        > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
                        > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
                        > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
                        > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're all
                        > troopers for putting up with
                        > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
                        >
                        > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really think
                        > you'll enjoy the trip!!!
                        >
                        > Gino DiCarlo
                        > FJG Group Moderator

                      • Dick Ryall
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                          Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
                          Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
                          shape then and by now must be dust.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
> [...]
                            >Andy
                            > > Fusco for making the long trip!
                            > > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of
                            >people
                            > > we have here. My wife ate
                            > > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it
                            >sweetie!
                            > >
                            > > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the
                            >great
                            > > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
                            > > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
                            > > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
                            > > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're
                            >all
                            > > troopers for putting up with
                            > > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
                            > >
                            > > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really

                            Okay next year I'll go.............

                          • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                              > Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
                              > Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
                              > shape then and by now must be dust.

                              > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                              The old Gloversville Trolley barn burned down a few years ago!!!
                            • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo

                                > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                                > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                                > Guys dept. store again.
                                >
                                > Steve Myers

                                Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                                Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                                used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                                neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                                I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                                in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                                Gino

                                Steve,

                                The building I’m talking about on VanVranken avenue is just down from
                                Anthony Street.  I can’t remember to save my life the name of it, but it
                                used to be a cement business.  Malcolm tells me that that was the trolley
                                barn!  I used to love walking the old Troy and Schenectady down to Aqueduct
                                Road and used to see these big bridge abutments and never knew until
                                I was older that it was part of the large SRC trolley bridge that crossed the
                                Mohawk!

                                Gino
                              • Dick Ryall
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                                  Sorry Gino nothing here........

                                • Lee Morelli
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                                    Your work address had changed and I resent them later on in the week.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                                      I missed something here. Where was the dead trolley yard?