Great Get Together

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 11, 2002
      Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time! We
      met at the Boxcar
      Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great Sacandaga
      Park Station!
      On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park. Even
      a pit bull didn't deter us
      from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
      platform is still in place
      If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found! A
      trip to Sacandaga Park
      isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub! There's all kinds of
      great pictures of the park
      to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!

      A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the Gloversville
      Library. At the library we were
      treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die" on
      the piano. Movies were next
      on the agenda. We got to see a video tour of Steve Lamora's great FJ&G
      layout, then we watched
      movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels. You couldn't tell which was the
      layout and what was the actual
      FJ&G! The slide show put on by Paul Larner was awesome. It was filled by
      plenty of never before shots
      of the FJ&G! Last, but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
      Restaurant hit the spot!

      Thanks to Glenn Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and Andy
      Fusco for making the long trip!
      We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of people
      we have here. My wife ate
      dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it sweetie!

      Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the great
      Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
      and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
      Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
      and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're all
      troopers for putting up with
      all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?

      Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really think
      you'll enjoy the trip!!!

      Gino DiCarlo
      FJG Group Moderator
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 11, 2002
        I was thinking about you guys! Mark
      • Dick Ryall
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 11, 2002
          Now I`m really sorry I missed it, I did think about you guys at about
          7am on Saturday MST, glad it was a great time. dick

          "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

          > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time! We
          > met at the Boxcar
          > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great Sacandaga
          > Park Station!
          > On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park. Even
          > a pit bull didn't deter us
          > from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
          > platform is still in place
          > If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found! A
          > trip to Sacandaga Park
          > isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub! There's all kinds of
          > great pictures of the park
          > to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!
          >
          > A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the Gloversville
          > Library. At the library we were
          > treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die" on
          > the piano. Movies were next
          > on the agenda. We got to see a video tour of Steve Lamora's great FJ&G
          > layout, then we watched
          > movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels. You couldn't tell which was the
          > layout and what was the actual
          > FJ&G! The slide show put on by Paul Larner was awesome. It was filled by
          > plenty of never before shots
          > of the FJ&G! Last, but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
          > Restaurant hit the spot!
          >
          > Thanks to Glenn Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and Andy
          > Fusco for making the long trip!
          > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of people
          > we have here. My wife ate
          > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it sweetie!
          >
          > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the great
          > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
          > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
          > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
          > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're all
          > troopers for putting up with
          > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
          >
          > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really think
          > you'll enjoy the trip!!!
          >
          > Gino DiCarlo
          > FJG Group Moderator

        • fjg1870
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 12, 2002
            As Gino wrote, we did have a great time. Steve and I confirmed the
            D&H number of the FJ&G Flanger by looking at the underframe. In case
            anyone is interested, it is 36033. We were all amased at how far the
            platform of the Sacandaga Park station extended. Next year we need to
            remember to bring a shovel, pick, etc. Steve's HO FJ&G layout really
            captures the feel of the FJ&G. I've seen a number of FJ&G layouts,
            but Steve's is by far the best. Everyone seemed to have a good time.
            If all goes as planned, next year we are going to explore the
            Electric Division around Amsterdam and have our show & tell at FMCC,
            who by the way, has Dave Nestle's FJ&G collection. Hope to see more
            of you next year.

            Walt
          • dowens15228
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13, 2002
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great
              time! We
              > met at the Boxcar
              > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great
              Sacandaga
              > Park Station!
              > SNIP!

              Yeah! What Gino didn't say was that we pulled up to the Sacandaga
              Station looking for all the world like we were from the ATF or the
              DEA and were cpnducting a raid!. The woman who came out to meet us
              must have really been surprised until we told her who we were.

              Next time the "portable tool bag" has to have a LARGE crow bar in it!

              Dan Owens
            • Dick Ryall
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 6, 2002
                Whats going on guys, ever since the big meeting, the email has been
                scarce. You guys have a problem?

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
                  Funny you mention that Dick because we mentioned at he last meeting how the
                  line went dead or nearly so. I believe we are all still here, just not as
                  inquisitive for the time being.

                  There will be a discussion on the FJ&G at the Hagaman Historical Soc.
                  meeting Monday at 7 p.m. in the civic center (Pawling Hall) on Pawling Ave.
                  in Hagaman.

                  PKL

                • Stephen G. Myers
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
                    I'm still here quietly reading your messages. Hasn't been to much to
                    talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                    Guys dept. store again.

                    Steve Myers

                    .
                    .

                    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                  • Lee Morelli
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
                      Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thought the group had died and I had not been notified.

                      BTW, I sent pictures to Gino that I took on August tenth.

                      "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

                      > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time!  We
                      > met at the Boxcar
                      > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great Sacandaga
                      > Park Station!
                      > On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park.  Even
                      > a pit bull didn't deter us
                      > from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
                      > platform is still in place
                      > If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found!  A
                      > trip to Sacandaga Park
                      > isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub!  There's all kinds of
                      > great pictures of the park
                      > to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!
                      >
                      > A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the Gloversville
                      > Library.  At the library we were
                      > treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die" on
                      > the piano.  Movies were next
                      > on the agenda.  We got to see  a video tour of  Steve Lamora's great FJ&G
                      > layout, then we watched
                      > movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels.  You couldn't tell which was the
                      > layout and what was the actual
                      > FJ&G!  The slide  show put  on by Paul Larner was awesome.  It was filled by
                      > plenty of never before shots
                      > of the FJ&G!  Last,  but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
                      > Restaurant hit the spot!
                      >
                      > Thanks to Glenn  Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and Andy
                      > Fusco for making the long trip!
                      > We enjoyed  everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of people
                      > we have here.  My wife ate
                      > dinner  with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!"  You said it sweetie!
                      >
                      > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the great
                      > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
                      > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!!  I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
                      > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
                      > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner!  They're all
                      > troopers for putting up with
                      > all the train talk!  Don't they hear enough about trains already?
                      >
                      > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open!  I really think
                      > you'll enjoy the trip!!!
                      >
                      > Gino DiCarlo
                      > FJG Group Moderator

                      in New York State at
                      http://ny.existingstations.com/

                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
                        > I'm still here quietly reading your messages. Hasn't been to much to
                        > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                        > Guys dept. store again.
                        >
                        > Steve Myers

                        Ah yes, Two Guys! Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                        Parkway in Schenectady? They had some good stuff too! The building also
                        used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company! Those were
                        neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street! Oh Steve,
                        I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                        in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                        Gino
                      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
                          Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
                          Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thought the group had died and I had not been notified.

                          BTW, I sent pictures to Gino that I took on August tenth.

                          Where did you send them Uncle Lee?
                        • Malcolm Horton
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
                            The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

                            Malcolm Horton

                            > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                            > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                            > Guys dept. store again.
                            >
                            > Steve Myers

                            Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                            Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                            used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                            neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                            I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                            in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                            4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 8, 2002
                              Re: [FJGRailroad] Great Get Together
                              The former J.M. Fields department store later became a Price Chopper. It had a trolley car strut (complete with turnbuckle) which the railway company had used to mend a sag in the roof. This stuck down thru the false ceiling which Price Chopper had installed to "Gussie up" the building. When the present Price Chipper building was built, the old one was torn down. I always looked up to check on the strut and often wondered if anyone else knew why it was there.

                              Malcolm Horton

                               Good to hear from you Malcolm!  You told me that the former cement
                              business on Aqueduct Road in Schenectady is an old SRC barn too, right?
                              I knew they had a barn on VanVranken but didn’t realize that the current
                              business was the old structure!  The only pictures I have of VanVranken is
                              the yards where the trolleys were destroyed, none of the buildings!
                              Do you know if this was known as the Veeder Yards?  I see Veeder Yards
                              mentioned in the SRC history books that I have, but never it’s location.  I know
                              that the SRC had it’s shops and main barn on McClellan Street and they
                              had the Fuller Barn down by the IUE hall...

                              > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                              > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                              > Guys dept. store again.
                              >
                              > Steve Myers

                              Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                              Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                              used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                              neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                              I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                              in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                              4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

                              in New York State at
                              http://ny.existingstations.com/

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705073027:HM/A=1182702/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-333>

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                                Yes, I remember the old JM Fields.  If only I had known what these buildings were back then!!  Are any of their facilities left standing?  After reading a small history book as a kid on the SRC, I rode my bike up and down Van Vranken searching for the trolley scrap yard to no avail.  I did have a lot of great times searching the old Schenectady Hotel next to the D&H, the old Schenectady station remains (stairways) that we found trackside across from Jack in the Box, and the freight offices that are still under the bridge next to Pinhead Susans.  Gee, if we tear it all down, where will the hobos sleep?  Aren't all the old D&H buildings still left in the woods at Mohawk Yard, or are they gone too?

                                  Steve Myers

                                .

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                                  Gino I`m leaving tomorrow to drive east, going to Nelsonville first, and
                                  to Gloversville about 20 Sept 02. Are you in Northville or
                                  Saratoga?Would like to make contact while there. dick

                                  "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

                                  > Everyone who couldn't make it to our get together missed a great time! We
                                  > met at the Boxcar
                                  > Museum where we then proceeded up to Sacandaga Park and the great Sacandaga
                                  > Park Station!
                                  > On the way up we climbed all over the flanger just south of the park. Even
                                  > a pit bull didn't deter us
                                  > from exploring Sacandaga Station where we discovered that most of the
                                  > platform is still in place
                                  > If they had a shovel in the garage, who knows what we would have found! A
                                  > trip to Sacandaga Park
                                  > isn't complete without lunch at The Sport Island Pub! There's all kinds of
                                  > great pictures of the park
                                  > to enjoy and let's not talk about the waitresses!
                                  >
                                  > A trip to Choo choos ice cream was followed by a visit to the Gloversville
                                  > Library. At the library we were
                                  > treated to Andy Fusco's rendition of Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die" on
                                  > the piano. Movies were next
                                  > on the agenda. We got to see a video tour of Steve Lamora's great FJ&G
                                  > layout, then we watched
                                  > movies about FJ&G trolleys and Diesels. You couldn't tell which was the
                                  > layout and what was the actual
                                  > FJ&G! The slide show put on by Paul Larner was awesome. It was filled by
                                  > plenty of never before shots
                                  > of the FJ&G! Last, but not least, a great dinner at the Railyard
                                  > Restaurant hit the spot!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks to Glenn Williams, Dan Owens Uncle Lee Morelli, Rich Finn and Andy
                                  > Fusco for making the long trip!
                                  > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of people
                                  > we have here. My wife ate
                                  > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it sweetie!
                                  >
                                  > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the great
                                  > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
                                  > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
                                  > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
                                  > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're all
                                  > troopers for putting up with
                                  > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
                                  >
                                  > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really think
                                  > you'll enjoy the trip!!!
                                  >
                                  > Gino DiCarlo
                                  > FJG Group Moderator

                                • Dick Ryall
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                                    Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
                                    Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
                                    shape then and by now must be dust.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
> [...]
                                      >Andy
                                      > > Fusco for making the long trip!
                                      > > We enjoyed everyone's company and it's amazing what a great bunch of
                                      >people
                                      > > we have here. My wife ate
                                      > > dinner with us and said "what a nice bunch of guys!" You said it
                                      >sweetie!
                                      > >
                                      > > Of course, our get together would not have been the same without the
                                      >great
                                      > > Walt Danylak, Paul Larner
                                      > > and Steve Lamora in attendance!!! I can't forget Mrs. Paul Larner, Mrs.
                                      > > Andy Fusco, Mrs. Rich Finn
                                      > > and my very own Mrs. Kelly DiCarlo for joining us for dinner! They're
                                      >all
                                      > > troopers for putting up with
                                      > > all the train talk! Don't they hear enough about trains already?
                                      > >
                                      > > Anyhoo, for the rest of our members, keep next August open! I really

                                      Okay next year I'll go.............

                                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                                        > Ron Rios and I used to poke arround the dead trolly yard just across
                                        > Main Street , the intersection with Broad Street. They were in lousy
                                        > shape then and by now must be dust.

                                        > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                        The old Gloversville Trolley barn burned down a few years ago!!!
                                      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo

                                          > I'm still here quietly reading your messages.  Hasn't been to much to
                                          > talk of lately, guess we'll have to get Gino talking about the old Two
                                          > Guys dept. store again.
                                          >
                                          > Steve Myers

                                          Ah yes, Two Guys!  Hey, do you remember the JM Fields that was on Eastern
                                          Parkway in Schenectady?  They had some good stuff too!  The building also
                                          used to be the big barn for the Schenectady Railway Company!  Those were
                                          neat buildings that the SRC used to occupy on McClellan Street!  Oh Steve,
                                          I've been meaning to tell you that my Uncle Leo used to work at the Big-N
                                          in Schenectady and he doesn't remember all the trackage from ALCO there!

                                          Gino

                                          Steve,

                                          The building I’m talking about on VanVranken avenue is just down from
                                          Anthony Street.  I can’t remember to save my life the name of it, but it
                                          used to be a cement business.  Malcolm tells me that that was the trolley
                                          barn!  I used to love walking the old Troy and Schenectady down to Aqueduct
                                          Road and used to see these big bridge abutments and never knew until
                                          I was older that it was part of the large SRC trolley bridge that crossed the
                                          Mohawk!

                                          Gino
                                        • Dick Ryall
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 9, 2002
                                            Sorry Gino nothing here........

                                          • Lee Morelli
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                                              Your work address had changed and I resent them later on in the week.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 11, 2002
                                                I missed something here. Where was the dead trolley yard?