One Hundred Years Ago

  • glenn_j_williams
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2002
      From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

      August 4, 1902 - OPENING MAY BE DELAYED UNTIL SPRING - Although the
      Gloversville - Amsterdam line will be finished by September 1st, the
      double tracks will not be in position, neither will the double track
      line from Gloversville to Johnstown be finished and the officials of
      the road are not at all anxious to start operation until the two
      tracks are finished. Safety is the main thing to be considered and
      the company is not averse to waiting until next spring in order that
      the line may be in the best possible shape, fully equipped, and with
      the big power station in readiness to furnish all the power needed.
      The new cars will not arrive before January and the winter will be
      occupied in getting ready for a formal opening in the spring.
    • glenn_j_williams
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2002
        From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

        August 7, 1902 - Removing the big sand bank, one of the largest jobs
        of excavating ever undertaken in the vicinity of Schenectady, was
        begun yesterday. It is the work of tearing out the big "sand hill"
        back of Scotia. The work is being done by the FJ&G Company for their
        trolley line from Amsterdam to Schenectady. The contract calls for
        about 80,000 yards of sand to be removed, at an expenditure of about
        $30,000. The distance is not over half a mile.

        [And the sand went where?]
      • Stephen G. Myers
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2002
          Is this sandbank our famous Sandbank Yard in Scotia, or did the name
          Sandbank Yard come from Fawthrop & Son's Sand Company at the yard?

          Steve Myers

          .

          .
          On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:38:56 -0000 "glenn_j_williams"
          <103424.2304@...> writes:
          > From the Bob Bedford clipping file:
          >
          > August 7, 1902 - Removing the big sand bank, one of the largest jobs
          >
          > of excavating ever undertaken in the vicinity of Schenectady, was
          > begun yesterday. It is the work of tearing out the big "sand hill"
          >
          > back of Scotia. The work is being done by the FJ&G Company for
          > their
          > trolley line from Amsterdam to Schenectady. The contract calls for
          >
          > about 80,000 yards of sand to be removed, at an expenditure of about
          >
          > $30,000. The distance is not over half a mile.
          >
          > [And the sand went where?]

          > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • glenn_j_williams
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 14, 2002
            From the Bob Bedford clipping file, two entries:

            August 9, 1902 - WORK IS PROGRESSING - Work at the powerhouse at
            Tribes Hill is progressing rapidly and it is expected that the walls
            of the building will be completed in a few days. Excavations for the
            balance of the piers will be started at once. It is thought that the
            large trestle on the electric road will be completed in about ten
            days. At present, work is being pushed vigorously. Wednesday
            morning, a gang of men were placed at work excavating under the
            Central tracks opposite the powerhouse. A line of pipe will be laid
            to the Mohawk River and water will be pumped to the water tower which
            will be located 100 feet above the road. The work of laying rails on
            the Johnstown - Amsterdam road is progressing rapidly. A large force
            is at work at present a short distance west [?] of Fonda.

            August 11, 1902 - ELECTRIC EXTENSIONS - A force of about 60 men are
            now laying track from the junction with the Fonda line a short
            distance below Johnstown, towards Tribes Hill and have several
            hundred feet of rail in position. The Fonda and Amsterdam tracks
            have also been connected. A work train with Engine No. 1 from
            Gloversville is working toward the valley and it is believed that a
            work train will be run through to Tribes Hill before the end of the
            week. As soon as the trestle at Tribes Hill is completed it will be
            possible to run a work train through to Amsterdam. The new chimney
            at the powerhouse is about completed. Ten new 500 H.P. tubular
            valves for use at the powerhouse are expected to arrive today.
          • glenn_j_williams
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2002
              From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

              September 3, 1902 - WOMEN JUMPED FROM CAR - While one of the larger
              electric cars which was filled with passengers was going up the North
              Market Street hill late yesterday afternoon, a fuse burned out and
              allowed the car to run back a short distance before the motorman
              could set the brake. Several ladies became frightened and jumped
              from the car. The promptness and efficiency of the motorman avoided
              any danger.
            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 3, 2002
                Throw mama from the train!!! Mark
              • Glenn J. Williams
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 12, 2002
                  From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

                  September 12, 1902 - PREPARED FOR WINTER - The FJ&G RR Company has
                  purchased two new snowplows for the electric division which will be
                  models of their kind and superior to anything in this section. The
                  plows will be of two patterns, one a double truck "shear" plow and
                  the other a double truck "nose" plow. Both will be equipped with GE
                  57 motors giving each plow 200 HP. They will be equipped with
                  everything of the latest pattern and will be complete in every
                  respect. A feature of the plows will be the Wagonshall electric arc
                  headlights of 2000 candlepower, and they will also have trolley
                  catchers, independent motor air brake equipment and an automatic air
                  hoisting device for raising and lowering the nose of the plow. The
                  plows will cost about $6000 apiece and are being built by the Wason
                  Mfg. Co. They will each weigh about 32,000 pounds outside of the
                  electric equipment. The little plow which has been used on the local
                  electric division will be shipped to Rockton and used on the Rockton
                  and Hagaman Divisions.

                  Motorman Bowdish, who with Conductor Sammons was suspended as a
                  result of the recent head-on collision at Fonda, was re-instated in
                  the service yesterday and resumed his work.
                • Glenn J. Williams
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 17, 2002
                    From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

                    September 17, 1902 - BOND WIRE THIEVES - Copper bond wire thieves
                    were at work again on the Fonda Division of the FJ&G RR last night
                    and the amount of wire taken was valued at between one hundred and
                    two hundred dollars. Some time ago, the company was bothered with
                    bond wire thieves and since the trouble with the heavy wires, the
                    company has purchased new bond wire consisting of a bundle of small
                    wires instead of a heavy piece of copper. The new wires were costly
                    but it was thought that the thieves would not be so likely to cut
                    them as they would the big pieces of copper. However, last night, a
                    thief went along a section of the track south of Johnstown and
                    removed 280 wires weighing about 700 pounds, leaving a long portion
                    of the line without any connecting wires. While the operation of the
                    cars was not prevented, it is hard work to send a car over rails
                    which are not bonded and as soon as the damage to the track was
                    discovered, officials of the company were notified and a repair crew
                    went to work. The robbery was probably commited after the last car
                    from Fonda had passed over the road and presumably the thieves did
                    their work between 1 and 5 a.m.