One Hundred Nine Years (and Just Over Two Weeks) Ago
- From the Bob Bedford clipping file, now that my broadband access is
July 15, 1893 - The proposed railway from Fort Johnson to Johnstown
and Gloversville is almost a sure thing. At first, it was intended
to extend the local street railway, but owing to the numerous legal
difficulties, a separate company is now being formed. It includes
many of those interested in the Amsterdam Street Railway Company and
a number of Gloversville and Johnstown capitalists, among the most
interested and active being Lawrence Caten. The road will be
constructed for heavy freight as well as passenger traffic and will
be used as a steam as well as an electric road. The steam cars will
be used in conveying the freight while electricity will probably be
used exclusively for passenger cars. Although the road will be
operated under the name of another company, it will be connected with
the Amsterdam Street Railway line. It is expected that a route
northwesterly from Fort Johnson through what is known as the Vlaie
will be used.
July 18, 1893 - The trestle work of the Cayadutta road, near
Cumming's and Burr's mill, is nearly completed.
July 19, 1893 - THE SPEED OF ELECTRIC CARS - The special committee of
the Common Council of Gloversville having under consideration the
speed of electric cars reported on Monday night. The report provided
that the rate of speed permitted be fixed at 8 miles per hour on Main
Street from Green Avenue to the RR crossing on South Main Street, the
same rate on Fulton from Cayadutta to High, four miles per hour at
street crossings and the rate of 12 miles per hour within the city
limits beyond the points above designated. The modifications asked
for by the Cayadutta people were that the limit on Main Street be
reduced to the territory between First Avenue and Burr Street, on
Fulton Street from Fremont to Cayadutta and that the clause relative
to speed at crossings be striken out.
July 20, 1893 - A portion of the electric machinery on the 12:15 PM
car for Fonda on the Cayadutta road became deranged on North Market
Street today. After futile efforts by the parties in charge to
repair same, the passengers were compelled to abandon the car and it
was towed back to Gloversville.
July 21, 1893 - The trestle on the Cayadutta Electric road near
Cumming's and Burr's mill is nearly completed and it is expected that
the curve will be laid and the lines connected within ten days.
A number of men are engaged at the electric carhouse, Gloversville,
in fitting up new cars and also putting the Westinghouse motors in
the old cars in place of the Thomson-Houston motors which have been
July 26, 1893 - The street railroad curve at the corner of West Main
and William Streets had been completed and the asphalting would have
been finished today if the rain had not interfered. The electric car
may be expected to invade our principal thoroughfare with a few days.