Re: Adirondack RS3s

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2000
      I was on the train that derailed at Hoel Pond. This was, as it turned out,
      the last scheduled through passenger train on the Adirondack. We had just
      sat downand order or prime ribs and something cheaper for the kids. There
      were two railfans in the diner from the Hartford area and they had the prime
      rib, hich influenced our order. Our onion soup had been served which we
      were just sstarting to enjoy when I heard a sound I recognized right away of
      the cars ahead running over the ties and then the air went. When we stopped
      you could see the water out one window and the sky out the other. Never
      spilled a drop of soup because we lifted our plates. Quite a bit of activity
      for a while. Confusion, really, while we and the other railfans assessed
      the situation for ourselves and propped up our plates and continued with our
      dinners. The ngle was not too much. There wasn't an engine behind us and
      everything was on the groun but the rear car or two and the engine, one of
      the RS engines. To keep people calm they were now giving away beer and
      soda; we asked if our food was ready and they brought it to us. After
      dinner we nosed around ahead to see what the situation was. No one
      seriously hurt. The piano had come loose and bumped some people and I
      believe some other stuff ahead in the lounge car was secured and did the
      expected as well. We were the only four going back to Placid, intending to
      swap trains at the meet. After a while we crowded onto the engine and road
      out to the next crossing. I believe it took three trips to get everyone
      out. Most all the passengers, I recall, were in good spirits. Vans took us
      out to Tupper Lake, where I think a bus took the Utica people through and a
      van brought us back to Placid.

      Funny I had said to my wife that we needed to take this trip because the
      road was on shaky ground and would soon cease operations. Little could I
      imagine.

      Several years later the Mass Bay RRE had a mileage trip on the Washington
      County. My task was to go to Montpelier Jct. to protect our main line from
      those railfans who tend to get into places even railroaders don't go - like
      standing in front of approaching trains. I arranged in advance for myself
      and No.3 girl to ride the locomotive on that trip. All the way from St.
      Albans to Montpelier she was continually asking if there were any bridges
      that we would be going over, which there were and I said so. It didn't
      occur to me until after that her concern stemmed from her recollection of
      this derailment on the Adirondack and the view of the water out the side
      window. Needles to say we had an uneventful trip and she got to pull the
      throttle, blow the whistle and ring the bell. But she tensed up at each of
      the bridges.

      PKL