One Hundred Nine Years (and Three Days) Ago - Part 1
- From the Bob Bedford clipping file:
July 13, 1893 - Contractor L. M. Pike and his men this morning
commenced the work of removing the asphalt pavement on Main Street
alongside the JG&K street car lines preparatory to relaying the
roadbed and track. New crossties are to be substituted for the
stringers in use heretofore. Track will be laid and fitted with the
necessary wires for electric operation.
A new schedule will go into effect within the next day or two, when
every alternate car from Johnstown will run through to Kingsboro.
Cars on the boulevard line now run around the north circle and meet
the cars on the North Main Street line at the switch near the
Kingsboro Avenue School, thus completing the circuit.