Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

One Hundred Eight Years Ago

Expand Messages
  • glenn_j_williams
    From the Bob Bedford clipping file: July 12, 1894 - THE NEW RAILROAD - A certificate incorporating a railroad company was this day filed at the office of the
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2002
      From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

      July 12, 1894 - THE NEW RAILROAD - A certificate incorporating a
      railroad company was this day filed at the office of the Secretary of
      State at Albany. The corporate name is the Amsterdam, Johnstown &
      Gloversville Railroad Company. The Capital [sic] stock is $400,000.
      The certificate describes the route as about eleven miles long
      connecting at Akin with the New York Central and Hudson River RR, and
      the road to be standard gauge, the motive power steam.
    • glenn_j_williams
      From the Bob Bedford clipping file, two articles. The first is from the Amsterdam Daily Democrat and Evening Recorder. The second is from the Johnstown Daily
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 2002
        From the Bob Bedford clipping file, two articles. The first is from
        the Amsterdam Daily Democrat and Evening Recorder. The second is
        from the Johnstown Daily Republican.

        July 13, 1894 - Engineer Samuel Moak began at Akin a survey of the
        route of the proposed new railroad.

        July 13, 1894 - THE ACCIDENT AT CAYADUTTA PARK - A party of picnicers
        [sic] awaited the train which was to bear them homeward. The train,
        consisting of two trailers and two motor cars, came thundering down
        the track, the motor cars pushing the trailers, at an unusual rate of
        speed, and at a point near the entrance to the park, the forward
        trailer jumped the track. The other trailer and one motor car came
        tearing along and when within about 15 feet of the station, acting
        Superintendent Banker jumped from the car, which came to a standstill
        directly in front of the station with its head block stove in.

        One of the trolley poles was torn down, the trolley wires were strung
        over the ground and the cars all suffered more or less damage. Two
        regulars came down on their way to Fonda but could get no farther
        than the station. They were brought into requisition and transported
        the picnicers [sic] to their home here and in Gloversville.

        Carl Banker is acting as Superintendent of the Cayadutta road during
        the absence of Superintendent Frenyear.
      • glenn_j_williams
        From the Bob Bedford clipping file: August 3, 1894 - Workmen are engaged in tightening up the span and trolley wires on the Cayadutta Electric road.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
          From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

          August 3, 1894 - Workmen are engaged in tightening up the span and
          trolley wires on the Cayadutta Electric road.
        • glenn_j_williams
          From the Bob Bedford clipping file, two days worth: August 29, 1894 - A gang of workmen have been repairing the track of the electric road, corner of Main and
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
            From the Bob Bedford clipping file, two days' worth:

            August 29, 1894 - A gang of workmen have been repairing the track of
            the electric road, corner of Main and Market Streets. The constant
            strain on the square, where short pieces of rail are employed, has a
            tendency to depress the ends of the rails, causing a jolt to the cars
            that is decidedly unpleasant to the passengers as well as a wear on
            the cars. It is to obviate this difficulty that the repairs are
            going on.

            August 31, 1894 - The old street car barn on North Perry Street is
            being remodeled and when completed will be used as a shop for the
            manufacture of kid leather.
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.