Re: Circus Train

  • fjg1870
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
      Walt,

      Isn't there a James Strates Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
      old is that? ...

      Gino,

      Yes, there is an old heavyweight pullman at the fairgrounds. Strates
      named the car Syracuse and when they re-equipped the train in the
      late '60's or early '70's, donated the car the CNY Chapter of the
      NRHS. I would guess the car dates from the '20's or '30's.

      Walt
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
        Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
        there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
        Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
        today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark
      • fjg1870
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
          Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
          there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
          Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
          today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark

          Mark,

          Yes, it's the yellow car and yes it's there year round as are the
          other cars on display.

          Walt
        • dowens15228
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
            Yeah Gino, I remember t"The Greatest Show on Earth". It also starred
            Jimmy Stewart as Buttons the Clown. You're right it was a great
            scene (If you like wrecks) when the second section rear ends the
            stopped first section.

            As in all Cecil B. DeMille movies the sets were lavish, and the cast
            was big, and Old CB himself narrated parts of it (As he did with the
            Ten Commandements, and the Buccaneer).

            Knowin CB's penchant for realism, he might have bought 2 locos and
            crashed them on purpose for effect!

            Dan Owens
          • charlesvosburgh
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
              Just happened to see an East bound Mohawk division Circus train
              through Nelliston at 11:50 AM. Not close enough to make out the name
              on the equipment. Also Avery Van Slyke passed away Saturday, 40 years
              on the railroad out of Utica as dispatcher for NYC, PennCentral, and
              Conrail. He lived in Palatine Bridge. Charlie