Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lumber co. on the FJ&G

  • ka2hsu@juno.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
      I remember from the 30s that the letters on the roof of the warehouse were W. W. FINCH, dating from the time when William Wilcox Finch had a business there. His home was the large house just above the station. He was the older brother of my grandfather, Dr. H.C. Finch. W. W. died in 1918 but the letters remained on the roof for many more years. Of his six children, three unmarried, Bess, Wallace, and Nelson, continued to live in the big home for many more years but the business was eventually sold off after W.W.'s death. Gordie Cornell might be able to fill in the details on this.

      Rogers Finch
      (Broadalbin resident 1920-1946)

      On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 10:38:28 -0400 "Roland Bowers" <bowers@...> writes:
      Steve,

      While I was in Broadalbin. The Broadalbin Coal and Supply sold many things
      beside coal, The lion's share of their business was animal feed. I can 't
      remember what the roofing shingles spelled out.

      Roland Bowers
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
        Roland:

        Is Lignum Vitae also called iron wood, or are they two different
        species?

        Dan Owens
      • dowens15228
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
          Wow! I think that's really great!

          Dan Owens
        • Roland Bowers
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
            Dan,

            Lignum Vitae grows ony in South America. Ironwood grows in the Adrondacks.
            Two different species.

            Roland Bowers