RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Circus Train

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      Walt,

      Isn't there a James State Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
      old is that? I figured that the train wreck was a model, but it still
      looks great for 1950's special effects! Of course, I haven't seen it
      since I was 10 years old!

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
        Walt,

        Isn't there a James Strates Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
        old is that? ...

        Gino,

        Yes, there is an old heavyweight pullman at the fairgrounds. Strates
        named the car Syracuse and when they re-equipped the train in the
        late '60's or early '70's, donated the car the CNY Chapter of the
        NRHS. I would guess the car dates from the '20's or '30's.

        Walt
      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
          Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
          there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
          Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
          today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark
        • fjg1870
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
            Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
            there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
            Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
            today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark

            Mark,

            Yes, it's the yellow car and yes it's there year round as are the
            other cars on display.

            Walt
          • dowens15228
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
              Yeah Gino, I remember t"The Greatest Show on Earth". It also starred
              Jimmy Stewart as Buttons the Clown. You're right it was a great
              scene (If you like wrecks) when the second section rear ends the
              stopped first section.

              As in all Cecil B. DeMille movies the sets were lavish, and the cast
              was big, and Old CB himself narrated parts of it (As he did with the
              Ten Commandements, and the Buccaneer).

              Knowin CB's penchant for realism, he might have bought 2 locos and
              crashed them on purpose for effect!

              Dan Owens
            • charlesvosburgh
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
                Just happened to see an East bound Mohawk division Circus train
                through Nelliston at 11:50 AM. Not close enough to make out the name
                on the equipment. Also Avery Van Slyke passed away Saturday, 40 years
                on the railroad out of Utica as dispatcher for NYC, PennCentral, and
                Conrail. He lived in Palatine Bridge. Charlie