Re: Circus Train

  • fjg1870
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
      Mark,

      They are probably the same cars that were used in the 40's and 50's!!!
      Hey, does anyone remember a movie called "Greatest Show On Earth?" It
      had Charlton Heston in it and was about the circus! There's a train
      wreck in that movie that is unbelievable! I don't know how they did
      it for 1950's Hollywood!

      Gino

      Gino,

      The Strates show has several ex-NYC passenger cars purchased in the
      late '60's or early '70's. At one time they owned the Hickory Creek,
      one of the observation cars from the 1948 20th Century Limited. This
      has since been sold and is being restored in NJ. They no longer use
      the "circus type" flat cars. All their flat cars are now standard TOFC
      cars, like those used by the major roads.

      The next time you watch the Greatest Show On Earth, take a close look
      at the wreck as it's happening. They used models not real trains.

      Walt
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
        Walt,

        Isn't there a James State Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
        old is that? I figured that the train wreck was a model, but it still
        looks great for 1950's special effects! Of course, I haven't seen it
        since I was 10 years old!

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
          Walt,

          Isn't there a James Strates Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
          old is that? ...

          Gino,

          Yes, there is an old heavyweight pullman at the fairgrounds. Strates
          named the car Syracuse and when they re-equipped the train in the
          late '60's or early '70's, donated the car the CNY Chapter of the
          NRHS. I would guess the car dates from the '20's or '30's.

          Walt
        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
            Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
            there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
            Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
            today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark
          • fjg1870
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
              Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
              there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
              Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
              today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark

              Mark,

              Yes, it's the yellow car and yes it's there year round as are the
              other cars on display.

              Walt
            • dowens15228
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                Yeah Gino, I remember t"The Greatest Show on Earth". It also starred
                Jimmy Stewart as Buttons the Clown. You're right it was a great
                scene (If you like wrecks) when the second section rear ends the
                stopped first section.

                As in all Cecil B. DeMille movies the sets were lavish, and the cast
                was big, and Old CB himself narrated parts of it (As he did with the
                Ten Commandements, and the Buccaneer).

                Knowin CB's penchant for realism, he might have bought 2 locos and
                crashed them on purpose for effect!

                Dan Owens
              • charlesvosburgh
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
                  Just happened to see an East bound Mohawk division Circus train
                  through Nelliston at 11:50 AM. Not close enough to make out the name
                  on the equipment. Also Avery Van Slyke passed away Saturday, 40 years
                  on the railroad out of Utica as dispatcher for NYC, PennCentral, and
                  Conrail. He lived in Palatine Bridge. Charlie