RE: [FJGRailroad] Circus Train

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      Gino-I remember that movie.The train wreck and the fire was based on
      true incidents as was the fall by the Wallanda' s family on the high
      wire. Mark
    • fjg1870
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
        Mark,

        They are probably the same cars that were used in the 40's and 50's!!!
        Hey, does anyone remember a movie called "Greatest Show On Earth?" It
        had Charlton Heston in it and was about the circus! There's a train
        wreck in that movie that is unbelievable! I don't know how they did
        it for 1950's Hollywood!

        Gino

        Gino,

        The Strates show has several ex-NYC passenger cars purchased in the
        late '60's or early '70's. At one time they owned the Hickory Creek,
        one of the observation cars from the 1948 20th Century Limited. This
        has since been sold and is being restored in NJ. They no longer use
        the "circus type" flat cars. All their flat cars are now standard TOFC
        cars, like those used by the major roads.

        The next time you watch the Greatest Show On Earth, take a close look
        at the wreck as it's happening. They used models not real trains.

        Walt
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
          Walt,

          Isn't there a James State Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
          old is that? I figured that the train wreck was a model, but it still
          looks great for 1950's special effects! Of course, I haven't seen it
          since I was 10 years old!

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            Walt,

            Isn't there a James Strates Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
            old is that? ...

            Gino,

            Yes, there is an old heavyweight pullman at the fairgrounds. Strates
            named the car Syracuse and when they re-equipped the train in the
            late '60's or early '70's, donated the car the CNY Chapter of the
            NRHS. I would guess the car dates from the '20's or '30's.

            Walt
          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
              Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
              there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
              Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
              today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark
            • fjg1870
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
                --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
                there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
                Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
                today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark

                Mark,

                Yes, it's the yellow car and yes it's there year round as are the
                other cars on display.

                Walt
              • dowens15228
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                  Yeah Gino, I remember t"The Greatest Show on Earth". It also starred
                  Jimmy Stewart as Buttons the Clown. You're right it was a great
                  scene (If you like wrecks) when the second section rear ends the
                  stopped first section.

                  As in all Cecil B. DeMille movies the sets were lavish, and the cast
                  was big, and Old CB himself narrated parts of it (As he did with the
                  Ten Commandements, and the Buccaneer).

                  Knowin CB's penchant for realism, he might have bought 2 locos and
                  crashed them on purpose for effect!

                  Dan Owens
                • charlesvosburgh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Just happened to see an East bound Mohawk division Circus train
                    through Nelliston at 11:50 AM. Not close enough to make out the name
                    on the equipment. Also Avery Van Slyke passed away Saturday, 40 years
                    on the railroad out of Utica as dispatcher for NYC, PennCentral, and
                    Conrail. He lived in Palatine Bridge. Charlie