RE: [FJGRailroad] Circus Train

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      Mark,

      They are probably the same cars that were used in the 40's and 50's!!!
      Hey, does anyone remember a movie called "Greatest Show On Earth?" It
      had Charlton Heston in it and was about the circus! There's a train
      wreck in that movie that is unbelievable! I don't know how they did\
      it for 1950's Hollywood!

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
        Gino-I remember that movie.The train wreck and the fire was based on
        true incidents as was the fall by the Wallanda' s family on the high
        wire. Mark
      • fjg1870
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
          Mark,

          They are probably the same cars that were used in the 40's and 50's!!!
          Hey, does anyone remember a movie called "Greatest Show On Earth?" It
          had Charlton Heston in it and was about the circus! There's a train
          wreck in that movie that is unbelievable! I don't know how they did
          it for 1950's Hollywood!

          Gino

          Gino,

          The Strates show has several ex-NYC passenger cars purchased in the
          late '60's or early '70's. At one time they owned the Hickory Creek,
          one of the observation cars from the 1948 20th Century Limited. This
          has since been sold and is being restored in NJ. They no longer use
          the "circus type" flat cars. All their flat cars are now standard TOFC
          cars, like those used by the major roads.

          The next time you watch the Greatest Show On Earth, take a close look
          at the wreck as it's happening. They used models not real trains.

          Walt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
            Walt,

            Isn't there a James State Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
            old is that? I figured that the train wreck was a model, but it still
            looks great for 1950's special effects! Of course, I haven't seen it
            since I was 10 years old!

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              Walt,

              Isn't there a James Strates Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
              old is that? ...

              Gino,

              Yes, there is an old heavyweight pullman at the fairgrounds. Strates
              named the car Syracuse and when they re-equipped the train in the
              late '60's or early '70's, donated the car the CNY Chapter of the
              NRHS. I would guess the car dates from the '20's or '30's.

              Walt
            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
                Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
                there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
                Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
                today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark
              • fjg1870
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
                  --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                  Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
                  there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
                  Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
                  today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark

                  Mark,

                  Yes, it's the yellow car and yes it's there year round as are the
                  other cars on display.

                  Walt
                • dowens15228
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                    Yeah Gino, I remember t"The Greatest Show on Earth". It also starred
                    Jimmy Stewart as Buttons the Clown. You're right it was a great
                    scene (If you like wrecks) when the second section rear ends the
                    stopped first section.

                    As in all Cecil B. DeMille movies the sets were lavish, and the cast
                    was big, and Old CB himself narrated parts of it (As he did with the
                    Ten Commandements, and the Buccaneer).

                    Knowin CB's penchant for realism, he might have bought 2 locos and
                    crashed them on purpose for effect!

                    Dan Owens
                  • charlesvosburgh
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
                      Just happened to see an East bound Mohawk division Circus train
                      through Nelliston at 11:50 AM. Not close enough to make out the name
                      on the equipment. Also Avery Van Slyke passed away Saturday, 40 years
                      on the railroad out of Utica as dispatcher for NYC, PennCentral, and
                      Conrail. He lived in Palatine Bridge. Charlie