Circus Train

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      Someone posted this info on another rail group. It is about a circus train.
      The James Strates Shows
      used to come to Gloversville back in the 40's and 50's and I didn't even
      know it still exsisted!

      Gino

      Subject: Strates Circus Train

      The Strates Circus Train will be delivered to CP Rail at Philadelphia on
      June 3rd at 0600 hrs enroute the NS at Binghamton. This will be a 56 car
      train (10 coaches, 46 flats).

      This is in addition to the Ringling Brothers Blue Unit train that I posted
      earlier which will operate out of Harrisburg the same day at 1300 hrs. This
      train is delivered to the L&S at Buttonwood and Hudson for it's play date in
      Wilkes Barre.

      The Strates Train will be handled again from the NS at Binghamton to the CSX
      at Albany on June 17th over the D&H.
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
        Strates Shows are the group that handles the New York State Fair
        everyear.I ran a Strates train about 2 years ago from Bing to
        Syracuse,and also from NJ to Bing 3 years ago.I dont like handling their
        train.Their maintenance on the rail cars are very poor.Always hitting
        the hot box detectors. Mark
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
          Mark,

          They are probably the same cars that were used in the 40's and 50's!!!
          Hey, does anyone remember a movie called "Greatest Show On Earth?" It
          had Charlton Heston in it and was about the circus! There's a train
          wreck in that movie that is unbelievable! I don't know how they did\
          it for 1950's Hollywood!

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
            Gino-I remember that movie.The train wreck and the fire was based on
            true incidents as was the fall by the Wallanda' s family on the high
            wire. Mark
          • fjg1870
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              Mark,

              They are probably the same cars that were used in the 40's and 50's!!!
              Hey, does anyone remember a movie called "Greatest Show On Earth?" It
              had Charlton Heston in it and was about the circus! There's a train
              wreck in that movie that is unbelievable! I don't know how they did
              it for 1950's Hollywood!

              Gino

              Gino,

              The Strates show has several ex-NYC passenger cars purchased in the
              late '60's or early '70's. At one time they owned the Hickory Creek,
              one of the observation cars from the 1948 20th Century Limited. This
              has since been sold and is being restored in NJ. They no longer use
              the "circus type" flat cars. All their flat cars are now standard TOFC
              cars, like those used by the major roads.

              The next time you watch the Greatest Show On Earth, take a close look
              at the wreck as it's happening. They used models not real trains.

              Walt
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
                Walt,

                Isn't there a James State Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
                old is that? I figured that the train wreck was a model, but it still
                looks great for 1950's special effects! Of course, I haven't seen it
                since I was 10 years old!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
                  --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                  Walt,

                  Isn't there a James Strates Car out at the Syracuse Fair Grounds? How
                  old is that? ...

                  Gino,

                  Yes, there is an old heavyweight pullman at the fairgrounds. Strates
                  named the car Syracuse and when they re-equipped the train in the
                  late '60's or early '70's, donated the car the CNY Chapter of the
                  NRHS. I would guess the car dates from the '20's or '30's.

                  Walt
                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
                    Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
                    there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
                    Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
                    today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark
                  • fjg1870
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 2, 2002
                      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                      Walt-Is it the one the use every year for display?I didnt realize its
                      there through out the year.Its the yellow car,right?
                      Note: The storm that hit Johnstown was in the Binghamton newspaper
                      today.It also stated that the tower for WENT was knocked over. Mark

                      Mark,

                      Yes, it's the yellow car and yes it's there year round as are the
                      other cars on display.

                      Walt
                    • dowens15228
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                        Yeah Gino, I remember t"The Greatest Show on Earth". It also starred
                        Jimmy Stewart as Buttons the Clown. You're right it was a great
                        scene (If you like wrecks) when the second section rear ends the
                        stopped first section.

                        As in all Cecil B. DeMille movies the sets were lavish, and the cast
                        was big, and Old CB himself narrated parts of it (As he did with the
                        Ten Commandements, and the Buccaneer).

                        Knowin CB's penchant for realism, he might have bought 2 locos and
                        crashed them on purpose for effect!

                        Dan Owens
                      • charlesvosburgh
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
                          Just happened to see an East bound Mohawk division Circus train
                          through Nelliston at 11:50 AM. Not close enough to make out the name
                          on the equipment. Also Avery Van Slyke passed away Saturday, 40 years
                          on the railroad out of Utica as dispatcher for NYC, PennCentral, and
                          Conrail. He lived in Palatine Bridge. Charlie