Re: [FJGRailroad] Lumber co. on the FJ&G

  • Dick Ryall
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
      Floyd Westover used to make Toboggans at the corner of 8th Ave and Main
      st, near Robinson and Smith. He was located upstairs over what was then
      Laurence`s Drug Store, near the North Main Methodist Church and then
      Columbia School, sorry I may be wrong he could have made snow shoes.

    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
        Steve-I think that Karg Bros would recieve tank cars of dye.I can
        remember one or two cars when I worked up there. Mark
      • ka2hsu@juno.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
          I remember from the 30s that the letters on the roof of the warehouse were W. W. FINCH, dating from the time when William Wilcox Finch had a business there. His home was the large house just above the station. He was the older brother of my grandfather, Dr. H.C. Finch. W. W. died in 1918 but the letters remained on the roof for many more years. Of his six children, three unmarried, Bess, Wallace, and Nelson, continued to live in the big home for many more years but the business was eventually sold off after W.W.'s death. Gordie Cornell might be able to fill in the details on this.

          Rogers Finch
          (Broadalbin resident 1920-1946)

          On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 10:38:28 -0400 "Roland Bowers" <bowers@...> writes:
          Steve,

          While I was in Broadalbin. The Broadalbin Coal and Supply sold many things
          beside coal, The lion's share of their business was animal feed. I can 't
          remember what the roofing shingles spelled out.

          Roland Bowers
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
            Roland:

            Is Lignum Vitae also called iron wood, or are they two different
            species?

            Dan Owens
          • dowens15228
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
              Wow! I think that's really great!

              Dan Owens
            • Roland Bowers
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
                Dan,

                Lignum Vitae grows ony in South America. Ironwood grows in the Adrondacks.
                Two different species.

                Roland Bowers