Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lumber co. on the FJ&G

  • Roland Bowers
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
      Steve,

      While I was in Broadalbin. The Broadalbin Coal and Supply sold many things
      beside coal, The lion's share of their business was animal feed. I can 't
      remember what the roofing shingles spelled out.

      Roland Bowers
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
        Floyd Westover used to make Toboggans at the corner of 8th Ave and Main
        st, near Robinson and Smith. He was located upstairs over what was then
        Laurence`s Drug Store, near the North Main Methodist Church and then
        Columbia School, sorry I may be wrong he could have made snow shoes.

      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
          Steve-I think that Karg Bros would recieve tank cars of dye.I can
          remember one or two cars when I worked up there. Mark
        • ka2hsu@juno.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
            I remember from the 30s that the letters on the roof of the warehouse were W. W. FINCH, dating from the time when William Wilcox Finch had a business there. His home was the large house just above the station. He was the older brother of my grandfather, Dr. H.C. Finch. W. W. died in 1918 but the letters remained on the roof for many more years. Of his six children, three unmarried, Bess, Wallace, and Nelson, continued to live in the big home for many more years but the business was eventually sold off after W.W.'s death. Gordie Cornell might be able to fill in the details on this.

            Rogers Finch
            (Broadalbin resident 1920-1946)

            On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 10:38:28 -0400 "Roland Bowers" <bowers@...> writes:
            Steve,

            While I was in Broadalbin. The Broadalbin Coal and Supply sold many things
            beside coal, The lion's share of their business was animal feed. I can 't
            remember what the roofing shingles spelled out.

            Roland Bowers
            > Thanks everybody for the info on the lumber company's!!!If anybody
            > can let me know what kind of chemicals were in the Tank cars that the
            > tannerys got that would help me alot.Roland,in Broadalbin on the coal
            > and supply building i see a sign that says Larro Feeds did they
            > unloadfeed for local farms there?And there's also writing on the roof
            > of the building on the shingles do you remember what it said i think
            > Gordon Cornell told me once but i can't remember.
            >

            > Steve L

            http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

            in New York State at
            http://ny.existingstations.com/

          • dowens15228
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
              Roland:

              Is Lignum Vitae also called iron wood, or are they two different
              species?

              Dan Owens
            • dowens15228
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
                Wow! I think that's really great!

                Dan Owens
              • Roland Bowers
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
                  Dan,

                  Lignum Vitae grows ony in South America. Ironwood grows in the Adrondacks.
                  Two different species.

                  Roland Bowers