RE: [FJGRailroad] Arkville

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2002
      If you see a fat person with a yellow M&M"s hat yelling at a 5 year
      old,thats me.Mark
    • Knixrule1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2002
        Gino,

        Sorry I lost you, I wanted to run up to Thomas and get a few photos
        without the crowds, needless to say, it did not happen. I stopped at the
        railroad museum on Rt 28 and had a better, longer, more fun train ride
        than at Arkville. When I told them that I worked for CSX, they put us in
        the caboose on the trip west and in the locomotive for the trip east. We
        all had a great day at the Delaware and Ulster and at the Catskill Scenic
        Railroad, but I think Mark is still up there staring at the FJ&G box
        cars!!!!!

        Great to meet you all.

        Steve Myers

        .

        .

        .
        .

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2002
          I was told by an employee that those cars were traced back to original
          owners was the New York Central.They are thinking about re-painting them
          red as the orignal color.But I begged them to re=paint them green and
          restenciled them FJG.About 90% of the cars must have been scrapped by
          now.Is was great to meet you guys and your families.I wish we could of
          visited some more,but I think everysbodys kids were getting restless.I
          missed you Steve when you stepped off the train,you got by me somehow.I
          think the Tank Engine made their money today ( $2.50 for a peanut butter
          sandwich). Mark
        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2002
            Steve-Did you run into an engineer and owner of that railroad that is
            thin and long hair? If so,thats Earl Pardini that was a road foreman for
            Conrail on the Southern Tier.I know him well. Mark
          • Knixrule1@juno.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
              Well, they could paint the cars red with pacemaker, or early bird
              service. It was interesting to see the FJ&G cars at Arkville, I thought
              for sure that they were all scrapped or repainted. Funny to see all
              those cast iron shoes and journal boxes after all this time. I rarely
              see or change cast iron (thank goodness) except on MEC boxes and a few
              covered hoppers that float through Selkirk. I hope to get together with
              you guys for a chat about railroading, and with Gino to chat about old
              Schenectady.

              Stephen Myers

              .
              .
              .
              .
              On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:44:16 -0400 (EDT) mwilber@... writes:
              > I was told by an employee that those cars were traced back to
              > original
              > owners was the New York Central.They are thinking about re-painting
              > them
              > red as the orignal color.But I begged them to re=paint them green
              > and
              > restenciled them FJG.About 90% of the cars must have been scrapped
              > by
              > now.Is was great to meet you guys and your families.I wish we could
              > of
              > visited some more,but I think everysbodys kids were getting
              > restless.I
              > missed you Steve when you stepped off the train,you got by me
              > somehow.I
              > think the Tank Engine made their money today ( $2.50 for a peanut
              > butter
              > sandwich). Mark

              > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                Hi guys,

                It was a great time down at Arkville this Sunday! The kids had a great
                time!
                It's too bad it was a shortened train ride because the scenery was great!
                It was also great to finally meet 2 members of this group! Mark Wilber and
                Steve Meyers, great to meet you! Hope to hook up again!

                Gino
              • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                  > Gino,
                  >
                  > Sorry I lost you, I wanted to run up to Thomas and get a few photos
                  > without the crowds, needless to say, it did not happen. I stopped at the
                  > railroad museum on Rt 28 and had a better, longer, more fun train ride
                  > than at Arkville. When I told them that I worked for CSX, they put us in
                  > the caboose on the trip west and in the locomotive for the trip east. We
                  > all had a great day at the Delaware and Ulster and at the Catskill Scenic
                  > Railroad, but I think Mark is still up there staring at the FJ&G box
                  > cars!!!!!
                  >

                  > Great to meet you all.
                  >
                  > Steve Myers
                  >
                  > .
                  >
                  > .
                  >
                  > .
                  > .
                  > On Fri, 31 May 2002 08:18:57 -0500 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                  > writes:
                  >> Steve and others...
                  >>
                  >> I take the scenic route which is a shorter distance than the
                  >> Thruway. I go
                  >> up 88
                  >> to the Schoharie exit then take Route 30 south with goes right by
                  >> the
                  >> station!
                  >> Like I've mentioned before, it's a pretty trip which follows the old
                  >> U & D
                  >> ROW
                  >> for a lot of the trip! I think it took us about 2.5 hours last time
                  >> we
                  >> went! Mark,
                  >> if I were you, take Route 28 east and it's about 45 minutes from
                  >> Oneonta.
                  >> I'm
                  >> not sure how far you are from Oneonta, but it should be an easy trip
                  >> for
                  >> you!
                  >> I checked the weather and it's going to be nice weather on Sunday!
                  >> Remember,
                  >> If you see a guy with a Baltimore Orioles hat, with a wife and 2
                  >> little
                  >> boys. one 4
                  >> and another 2, then it's a good chance that it's me! I'll also try
                  >> to wear
                  >> my FJG
                  >> green tee-shirt!
                  >>
                  >> See you there...
                  >>
                  >> Gino
                  >>
                  >>> ----------

                  Yeah Steve, when you were talking about the museum up the road, I didn't
                  Realize that you came up 28! I took the scenic route down route 30 through
                  The Schoharie Valley! You went to the rail trip at Phonecia! What did they
                  Have there?

                  Gino
                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                    I like to get together again since I'll be away in Aug during the FJG
                    get together. Mark
                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                      Gino & Steve-Was that the first time both of you guys met? Mark
                    • mwilber@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                        Then I guess my yellow hat stood out in the crowd. When the first person
                        said my name,I turn and said hey Gino,how are you doing?Then he said he
                        was Steve.Sorry Steve.
                        Mark
                      • Knixrule1@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                          Yes, it's the first time we ever met, other than through a key board.

                          .

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                            I was looking for you both!! It was the Catskill Mountain Railroad on Rt
                            28, I really had a great time. They had two flat cars, a caboose, and I
                            think it was a Davenport engine? They said their was only two left and
                            one doesnt operate. Joshua and I rode in the caboose and played Shack
                            and the mean conductor with the brakeman and conductor as best we could
                            without tossing anyone off the train. Next we rode in the engine, it had
                            a clutch and gear shift like a car. My poor wife sat on the flat car and
                            watched two lovebirds while my son and I played trains.

                            Steve myers

                            .

                            .

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                              > Gino & Steve-Was that the first time both of you guys met? Mark

                              > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                              Yeah Mark, I hadn't met Steve yet! We'll have to hook up in Cooperstown,
                              what do you say to that?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                                I am all for that!

                              • mwilber@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                                  Gino-Sounds ok to me.Take a look at the CACV. Mark
                                • mwilber@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                                    Born and raised in Cooperstown,I could give everybody a Class I guided
                                    tour of the village.Mark