Johnstown Tornado

    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2002
      A tornado or something close to it ripped though Johnstown this afternoon!
      The roof was
      ripped off of the Holiday Theater and it's windows were blown in! There is
      other damage
      around town!

      Gino
    • fjg1870
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
        A tornado or something close to it ripped though Johnstown this
        afternoon! The roof was ripped off of the Holiday Theater and it's
        windows were blown in! There is other damage around town!

        Gino

        Gino,

        See the Leader Herald's homepage (http://www.leaderherald.com) for
        more details. Part of WENT's antenna was blown down. According to the
        story, there was also damage on North Perry St. I'm in Syracuse right
        now, I'll give you more details next week.

        Walt
      • glenn_j_williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
          > A tornado or something close
          > to it ripped though Johnstown
          > this afternoon! The roof was
          > ripped off of the Holiday
          > Theater and it's windows were
          > blown in! There is other damage
          > around town!
          >
          > Gino

          The same storm made its way over the Green Mountains as mostly wind
          and in 30 seconds turned my screenhouse into a jumbled pile of
          aluminum extrusions. I'm entering it in the local abstract art
          contest. . .

          Glenn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2002
            Hey Glenn,

            maybe you can get Faust to display it with the rest of his "art" (Crap,
            Junk, choose
            your own description) at the Sacandaga Park Station! It looks to me like a
            tornado
            created his "Interactive" gallery!

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2002
              Gino,

              I was up there Thursday and it is quite a bit cleaned up. The gentleman who
              is going to restore it must be having an impact on him. Faust (interesting
              choice of a name) will be moving out so the restoration can commence. Does
              anyone on the list have a set of plans for the station? I believe a set
              would have been included in the valuation. These are necessary to assist in
              restoring the building to architectural correctness (a version of PC).

              PKL

              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
              >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Johnstown Tornado
              >Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 08:34:21 -0500
              >
              >Hey Glenn,
              >
              >maybe you can get Faust to display it with the rest of his "art" (Crap,
              >Junk, choose
              >your own description) at the Sacandaga Park Station! It looks to me like a
              >tornado
              >created his "Interactive" gallery!
              >
              >Gino

            • dowens15228
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                The weather system that spawned the Johnstown Tornado stretched as
                far west as Illinois. A tornado or strong microburst hit Pittsburgh
                and Killed a young woman at KennyWood ( our big amusement park) when
                it toppled the pavilion roof over one of the rides. 54 were injyred,
                and some are still hopitalized.

                Power is still off to thousands of homes scools are closed in some
                areas and some roads are impassible due to fallen trees.

                We were on vacation last week at Chautauqua, and decided not to come
                home until Saturday because we were not done closing up the cottage
                for the summer-otherwise we would have been arriving in town just as
                the storm hit at 7:00 pm.

                Are we thankful or what!

                Dan Owens
              • dowens15228
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                  Paul:

                  I've been out of the loop regarding the Sacandaga Park station. Was
                  Faust successful in selling it?

                  The last time I was up it was still for sale.

                  Dan Owens
                • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                    > Paul:
                    >
                    > I've been out of the loop regarding the Sacandaga Park station. Was
                    > Faust successful in selling it?
                    >
                    > The last time I was up it was still for sale.
                    >
                    > Dan Owens

                    > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                    Dan,

                    Faust didn't own the station. I believe he was just renting it! Someone
                    new Has bought the station and they intend on fixing it up! It's not going
                    Anywhere!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                      Dan,

                      Yes the station has been sold and an endeacor is being made to gather as
                      much data on it and the titles to the surrounding land as possible. I have
                      here hundreds of deeds for the Park parcels and am trying to find anything
                      that may be of significance to him. Haven't started to look yet though.

                      Paul