Arkville

    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2002
      Ah yes, I meant to say something about the event down in Arkville! I will
      be there around
      2pm, hope to be at least! I will be wearing my Baltimore Orioles hat! Keep
      an eye out for
      me! Hope to meet some of you guys!!!

      Gino

      Message 2 of 20 , May 31, 2002
        Steve and others...

        I take the scenic route which is a shorter distance than the Thruway. I go
        up 88
        to the Schoharie exit then take Route 30 south with goes right by the
        station!
        Like I've mentioned before, it's a pretty trip which follows the old U & D
        ROW
        for a lot of the trip! I think it took us about 2.5 hours last time we
        went! Mark,
        if I were you, take Route 28 east and it's about 45 minutes from Oneonta.
        I'm
        not sure how far you are from Oneonta, but it should be an easy trip for
        you!
        I checked the weather and it's going to be nice weather on Sunday!
        Remember,
        If you see a guy with a Baltimore Orioles hat, with a wife and 2 little
        boys. one 4
        and another 2, then it's a good chance that it's me! I'll also try to wear
        my FJG
        green tee-shirt!

        See you there...

        Gino

      • Knixrule1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 20 , May 31, 2002
          How the heck do I get to this place??/ Is it best to take the thruway
          from Scotia?? I should be there around one thirty or so, if I don't get
          lost. I can only follow a pair of rails not a road.

          Steve m.

          .
          .
          On Fri, 31 May 2002 07:17:33 -0500 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
          writes:

          > Ah yes, I meant to say something about the event down in Arkville!
          > I will
          > be there around
          > 2pm, hope to be at least! I will be wearing my Baltimore Orioles
          > hat! Keep
          > an eye out for
          > me! Hope to meet some of you guys!!!
          >
          > Gino
          > > ----------

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 20 , May 31, 2002
            What! Baltimore hat in Yankee country? Mark
          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 20 , May 31, 2002
              If you see a fat person with a yellow M&M"s hat yelling at a 5 year
              old,thats me.Mark
            • Knixrule1@juno.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2002
                Gino,

                Sorry I lost you, I wanted to run up to Thomas and get a few photos
                without the crowds, needless to say, it did not happen. I stopped at the
                railroad museum on Rt 28 and had a better, longer, more fun train ride
                than at Arkville. When I told them that I worked for CSX, they put us in
                the caboose on the trip west and in the locomotive for the trip east. We
                all had a great day at the Delaware and Ulster and at the Catskill Scenic
                Railroad, but I think Mark is still up there staring at the FJ&G box
                cars!!!!!

                Great to meet you all.

                Steve Myers

                .

                .

                .
                .

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2002
                  I was told by an employee that those cars were traced back to original
                  owners was the New York Central.They are thinking about re-painting them
                  red as the orignal color.But I begged them to re=paint them green and
                  restenciled them FJG.About 90% of the cars must have been scrapped by
                  now.Is was great to meet you guys and your families.I wish we could of
                  visited some more,but I think everysbodys kids were getting restless.I
                  missed you Steve when you stepped off the train,you got by me somehow.I
                  think the Tank Engine made their money today ( $2.50 for a peanut butter
                  sandwich). Mark
                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2002
                    Steve-Did you run into an engineer and owner of that railroad that is
                    thin and long hair? If so,thats Earl Pardini that was a road foreman for
                    Conrail on the Southern Tier.I know him well. Mark
                  • Knixrule1@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                      Well, they could paint the cars red with pacemaker, or early bird
                      service. It was interesting to see the FJ&G cars at Arkville, I thought
                      for sure that they were all scrapped or repainted. Funny to see all
                      those cast iron shoes and journal boxes after all this time. I rarely
                      see or change cast iron (thank goodness) except on MEC boxes and a few
                      covered hoppers that float through Selkirk. I hope to get together with
                      you guys for a chat about railroading, and with Gino to chat about old
                      Schenectady.

                      Stephen Myers

                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:44:16 -0400 (EDT) mwilber@... writes:
                      > I was told by an employee that those cars were traced back to
                      > original
                      > owners was the New York Central.They are thinking about re-painting
                      > them
                      > red as the orignal color.But I begged them to re=paint them green
                      > and
                      > restenciled them FJG.About 90% of the cars must have been scrapped
                      > by
                      > now.Is was great to meet you guys and your families.I wish we could
                      > of
                      > visited some more,but I think everysbodys kids were getting
                      > restless.I
                      > missed you Steve when you stepped off the train,you got by me
                      > somehow.I
                      > think the Tank Engine made their money today ( $2.50 for a peanut
                      > butter
                      > sandwich). Mark

                      > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                        Hi guys,

                        It was a great time down at Arkville this Sunday! The kids had a great
                        time!
                        It's too bad it was a shortened train ride because the scenery was great!
                        It was also great to finally meet 2 members of this group! Mark Wilber and
                        Steve Meyers, great to meet you! Hope to hook up again!

                        Gino
                      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                          > Gino,
                          >
                          > Sorry I lost you, I wanted to run up to Thomas and get a few photos
                          > without the crowds, needless to say, it did not happen. I stopped at the
                          > railroad museum on Rt 28 and had a better, longer, more fun train ride
                          > than at Arkville. When I told them that I worked for CSX, they put us in
                          > the caboose on the trip west and in the locomotive for the trip east. We
                          > all had a great day at the Delaware and Ulster and at the Catskill Scenic
                          > Railroad, but I think Mark is still up there staring at the FJ&G box
                          > cars!!!!!
                          >

                          > Great to meet you all.
                          >
                          > Steve Myers
                          >
                          > .
                          >
                          > .
                          >
                          > .
                          > .
                          > On Fri, 31 May 2002 08:18:57 -0500 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                          > writes:
                          >> Steve and others...
                          >>
                          >> I take the scenic route which is a shorter distance than the
                          >> Thruway. I go
                          >> up 88
                          >> to the Schoharie exit then take Route 30 south with goes right by
                          >> the
                          >> station!
                          >> Like I've mentioned before, it's a pretty trip which follows the old
                          >> U & D
                          >> ROW
                          >> for a lot of the trip! I think it took us about 2.5 hours last time
                          >> we
                          >> went! Mark,
                          >> if I were you, take Route 28 east and it's about 45 minutes from
                          >> Oneonta.
                          >> I'm
                          >> not sure how far you are from Oneonta, but it should be an easy trip
                          >> for
                          >> you!
                          >> I checked the weather and it's going to be nice weather on Sunday!
                          >> Remember,
                          >> If you see a guy with a Baltimore Orioles hat, with a wife and 2
                          >> little
                          >> boys. one 4
                          >> and another 2, then it's a good chance that it's me! I'll also try
                          >> to wear
                          >> my FJG
                          >> green tee-shirt!
                          >>
                          >> See you there...
                          >>
                          >> Gino
                          >>
                          >>> ----------

                          Yeah Steve, when you were talking about the museum up the road, I didn't
                          Realize that you came up 28! I took the scenic route down route 30 through
                          The Schoharie Valley! You went to the rail trip at Phonecia! What did they
                          Have there?

                          Gino
                        • mwilber@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                            I like to get together again since I'll be away in Aug during the FJG
                            get together. Mark
                          • mwilber@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                              Gino & Steve-Was that the first time both of you guys met? Mark
                            • mwilber@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                                Then I guess my yellow hat stood out in the crowd. When the first person
                                said my name,I turn and said hey Gino,how are you doing?Then he said he
                                was Steve.Sorry Steve.
                                Mark
                              • Knixrule1@juno.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                                  Yes, it's the first time we ever met, other than through a key board.

                                  .

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 3, 2002
                                    I was looking for you both!! It was the Catskill Mountain Railroad on Rt
                                    28, I really had a great time. They had two flat cars, a caboose, and I
                                    think it was a Davenport engine? They said their was only two left and
                                    one doesnt operate. Joshua and I rode in the caboose and played Shack
                                    and the mean conductor with the brakeman and conductor as best we could
                                    without tossing anyone off the train. Next we rode in the engine, it had
                                    a clutch and gear shift like a car. My poor wife sat on the flat car and
                                    watched two lovebirds while my son and I played trains.

                                    Steve myers

                                    .

                                    .

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                                      > Gino & Steve-Was that the first time both of you guys met? Mark

                                      > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                      Yeah Mark, I hadn't met Steve yet! We'll have to hook up in Cooperstown,
                                      what do you say to that?

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                                        I am all for that!

                                      • mwilber@webtv.net
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                                          Gino-Sounds ok to me.Take a look at the CACV. Mark
                                        • mwilber@webtv.net
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 4, 2002
                                            Born and raised in Cooperstown,I could give everybody a Class I guided
                                            tour of the village.Mark