Lumber co. on the FJ&G

  • stevefjg20
    Message 1 of 22 , May 30, 2002
      I have some questions about the lumber company's on the
      railroad.First did Northville lumber ship or recive lumber?And the
      same gose for Burr lumber any body remember?Also in the west yards in
      alot of pictures there's stacks of lumber laying around was this
      another lumber company that loaded and unloaded in the yard there was
      also lumber in some pictures across Broad St?I know in Vail Mills
      spelling? They unloaded cars or maybe loaded for Perth lumber and a
      company in Wells any body have any info on this operation?

      Thanks
      Steve L
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 22 , May 30, 2002
        Steve-Northville lumber did recieve cars of lumber.They use to unload
        them on the shop track next to the office.I dont recall Burr lumber.Mark
      • fjg1870
        Message 3 of 22 , May 30, 2002
          Steve,

          I don't know if Northville or Burr Lumber did, but I know that
          Kingsboro Lumber did. The cars were unloaded on the siding across
          from the Kingsboro station. Once in a while a box car would be
          spotted on the old Kingsboro coal siding, but I don't know if this
          was for Kingsboro Lumber or some other lumber company.

          Walt
          Message 4 of 22 , May 30, 2002
            Missed you last night. That's twice in two days I tooted a horn at you.
            First at Cordell Road on Tuesday (It looked like your green machine) and
            yesterday on Park Street. Four of us made it. Dave is going to see if he
            can get us a walk on the Mt. Lake line on the afternoon of Aug. 10.

            Paul

            >From: "fjg1870" <waltdanylak@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lumber co. on the FJ&G
            >Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:05:46 -0000
            >
            >Steve,
            >
            >I don't know if Northville or Burr Lumber did, but I know that
            >Kingsboro Lumber did. The cars were unloaded on the siding across
            >from the Kingsboro station. Once in a while a box car would be
            >spotted on the old Kingsboro coal siding, but I don't know if this
            >was for Kingsboro Lumber or some other lumber company.
            >
            >Walt

          • Roland Bowers
            Message 5 of 22 , May 31, 2002
              I used to rent the old Coal Company of Fulton County weigh station on 11th
              Ave. I rented it for about four years and Kingsboro Lumber Co. unloaded all
              of their cars there. There also used to be a whistle post just below the
              weigh station. I rented this building from the F.J. & G. I used it for a
              woodworking shop.

              When I was agent in Broadalbin 1949 thru 1954, a lumber Co. from Wells used
              to load green lumber right next to the station. When they had the car
              loaded, I had to notify the USDA, before the car could be released. The USDA
              sent a man by the name of Edwards from Schenectady, who inspected the green
              lumber for Gypsy Moth. The certificate had to go with the car to its
              destination. Brakeman (Squeak Fassett) always complained that their cars
              were overloaded, when he weighed them at Fonda.

              Roland Bowers

              Message 6 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                Don't forget, there was Peter's Lumber that was located on the Bleyl Spur!
                Roland,
                you weren't around when we last discuss Peter's Lumber. Can you tell us
                anything
                about this business?

                Also, I believe there was some lumber company that was in the West Yards
                right near
                Broad Street. I think this was in the 70's, right Mark Wilber?

                Gino

                Message 7 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                  What was the Bleyl spur?

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                    Joe,

                    The Bleyl spur went off to Foster Street and 10th avenue. It started
                    between 8th
                    avenue and Foster Street. The track served Bleyls Mill and Peter's Lumber.
                    In later days,
                    it was where Parwell chemical was. Parwell was mentioned in the Model
                    Railroader article.
                    Right above the Bleyl spur was another spur that went near Burr Lumber and
                    to the
                    steam plant behind Robison & Smith's Laundry...

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                      You guys are killing me. I am going to be on vacation in the Adirondacks on
                      Aug 10. If you do get permission to do this hike please post it to the
                      group.

                      >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lumber co. on the FJ&G
                      >Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 23:17:36 -0400
                      >
                      >Missed you last night. That's twice in two days I tooted a horn at you.
                      >First at Cordell Road on Tuesday (It looked like your green machine) and
                      >yesterday on Park Street. Four of us made it. Dave is going to see if he
                      >can get us a walk on the Mt. Lake line on the afternoon of Aug. 10.
                      >
                      >Paul
                      >

                      > >From: "fjg1870" <waltdanylak@...>
                      > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lumber co. on the FJ&G
                      > >Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:05:46 -0000
                      > >
                      > >Steve,
                      > >
                      > >I don't know if Northville or Burr Lumber did, but I know that
                      > >Kingsboro Lumber did. The cars were unloaded on the siding across
                      > >from the Kingsboro station. Once in a while a box car would be
                      > >spotted on the old Kingsboro coal siding, but I don't know if this
                      > >was for Kingsboro Lumber or some other lumber company.
                      > >
                      > >Walt

                    • Roland Bowers
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                        Gino,

                        In between stints with the F.J. & G. I worked for the Peters Lumber Co.for
                        about 9 months. Every I left the F. J. &G., they seemed to have some crisis
                        and they called me back.

                        The Lumber Co. was run by Frank Peters and his son Don. They had two kilns
                        where they dried their own hardwood. They made mostly wooden castors from
                        hardwood. They had several dowel machines. The hardwood logs were brought
                        in, sawed up in their sawmill, they were then given a process they called
                        bolting. In this process they were converted from sawed timber to 3x3 pieces
                        of wood, still in the green. This product was then placed in one of their
                        kilns for 2 days. Then this dry product was run through their dowel
                        machines, where they were into casters.
                        Some of their hardwood, Lignum Vitae was brought up from South America.
                        Lignum Vitae is the hardest wood that is grown.

                        Roland Bowers

                        > Don't forget, there was Peter's Lumber that was located on the Bleyl Spur!
                        > Roland,
                        > you weren't around when we last discuss Peter's Lumber. Can you tell us
                        > anything
                        > about this business?
                        >
                        > Also, I believe there was some lumber company that was in the West Yards
                        > right near
                        > Broad Street. I think this was in the 70's, right Mark Wilber?
                        >
                        > Gino
                        >
                        > > ----------

                      • Roland Bowers
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                          The Bleyl Spur was a siding that ran into the Blyel Skin mill on 11th Ave.,
                          now JBF it also serviced Peters Saw mill.

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                            Roland,

                            Thanks for the Peter's info! We discussed them before. The reason I
                            brought it up is
                            because someone told me that they made skis and toboggans at Peter's.
                            Someone
                            also said that Adirondack bats may have been made there too! Any info on
                            this?

                            Gino

                            > ----------

                          • Roland Bowers
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                              Gino,

                              Yes they made skis and toboggans there. They didn't make bats while I was
                              there. Castors were the bulk of their business. They sawed mostly White
                              Birch. The other hardwoods they sawed were Yellow Birch, Beech, some White
                              Ash and Maple.

                            • Knixrule1@juno.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 31, 2002
                                When I moved into this house last month, there was an Adirondack toboggan
                                in the garage with a made in Gloversville label on it!!

                                .

                                .
                                .

                                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                              • stevefjg20
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
                                  Thanks everybody for the info on the lumber company's!!!If anybody
                                  can let me know what kind of chemicals were in the Tank cars that the
                                  tannerys got that would help me alot.Roland,in Broadalbin on the coal
                                  and supply building i see a sign that says Larro Feeds did they
                                  unloadfeed for local farms there?And there's also writing on the roof
                                  of the building on the shingles do you remember what it said i think
                                  Gordon Cornell told me once but i can't remember.

                                  Steve L
                                • Roland Bowers
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
                                    Steve,

                                    While I was in Broadalbin. The Broadalbin Coal and Supply sold many things
                                    beside coal, The lion's share of their business was animal feed. I can 't
                                    remember what the roofing shingles spelled out.

                                    Roland Bowers
                                    > Thanks everybody for the info on the lumber company's!!!If anybody
                                    > can let me know what kind of chemicals were in the Tank cars that the
                                    > tannerys got that would help me alot.Roland,in Broadalbin on the coal
                                    > and supply building i see a sign that says Larro Feeds did they
                                    > unloadfeed for local farms there?And there's also writing on the roof
                                    > of the building on the shingles do you remember what it said i think
                                    > Gordon Cornell told me once but i can't remember.
                                    >

                                    > Steve L

                                    http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                  • Dick Ryall
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
                                      Floyd Westover used to make Toboggans at the corner of 8th Ave and Main
                                      st, near Robinson and Smith. He was located upstairs over what was then
                                      Laurence`s Drug Store, near the North Main Methodist Church and then
                                      Columbia School, sorry I may be wrong he could have made snow shoes.

                                    • mwilber@webtv.net
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
                                        Steve-I think that Karg Bros would recieve tank cars of dye.I can
                                        remember one or two cars when I worked up there. Mark
                                      • ka2hsu@juno.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
                                          I remember from the 30s that the letters on the roof of the warehouse were W. W. FINCH, dating from the time when William Wilcox Finch had a business there. His home was the large house just above the station. He was the older brother of my grandfather, Dr. H.C. Finch. W. W. died in 1918 but the letters remained on the roof for many more years. Of his six children, three unmarried, Bess, Wallace, and Nelson, continued to live in the big home for many more years but the business was eventually sold off after W.W.'s death. Gordie Cornell might be able to fill in the details on this.

                                          Rogers Finch
                                          (Broadalbin resident 1920-1946)

                                          On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 10:38:28 -0400 "Roland Bowers" <bowers@...> writes:
                                          Steve,

                                          While I was in Broadalbin. The Broadalbin Coal and Supply sold many things
                                          beside coal, The lion's share of their business was animal feed. I can 't
                                          remember what the roofing shingles spelled out.

                                          Roland Bowers
                                          > Thanks everybody for the info on the lumber company's!!!If anybody
                                          > can let me know what kind of chemicals were in the Tank cars that the
                                          > tannerys got that would help me alot.Roland,in Broadalbin on the coal
                                          > and supply building i see a sign that says Larro Feeds did they
                                          > unloadfeed for local farms there?And there's also writing on the roof
                                          > of the building on the shingles do you remember what it said i think
                                          > Gordon Cornell told me once but i can't remember.
                                          >

                                          > Steve L

                                          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                          in New York State at
                                          http://ny.existingstations.com/

                                        • dowens15228
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
                                            Roland:

                                            Is Lignum Vitae also called iron wood, or are they two different
                                            species?

                                            Dan Owens
                                          • dowens15228
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
                                              Wow! I think that's really great!

                                              Dan Owens
                                            • Roland Bowers
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 3, 2002
                                                Dan,

                                                Lignum Vitae grows ony in South America. Ironwood grows in the Adrondacks.
                                                Two different species.

                                                Roland Bowers