FJ&G Railway Post Office Service

  • pklarner
    Message 1 of 8 , May 21, 2002
      For those who might have an interest in this phase of the railroad's
      operation, there is on eBay an envelope with the "Fonda and
      Northville Agent" cancellation. The date is in 1882 and it looks
      real neat. I can only evaluate this from my perspective as an FJ&G
      collector, not numismatically (is that a word?). I haven't seen many
      of these (this is the third), nor do I see many of the later
      Northville Fonda RPO cancels.

      eBay item number 1353454811

      Does anyone of us know when the actual sorting and cancelling of mail
      on the Northville trains ceased?

      PKL
    • Knixrule1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 21, 2002
        Numismatist is a coin collector, philatelist is a stamp collector. Did
        they run RPO's on the FJ&G in the good ole days. I know that the RPO
        clerks used to sleep in the cellar of the Jay Street Schenectady post
        office in a bunk room.

        Steve Myers

        .

        .

        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2002
          I looked at it really quick, but it doesn't say RPO.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 21, 2002
            Joe and others,

            I saw a reply to this message about three hours ago on the site and took a
            while to dig out some info re. the mail agent and service. Since the reply
            hasn't yet made it to my email account I'll ad this to my original message.

            I went through everything I could easily find about the Railway Mail Service
            and didn't exactly find the answer I was looking for. I did find the
            reference to Mail agents vs. the RPO and applied that to my understanding of
            how the FJ&G operated as uncovered from the press.

            The FJ&G operated with mail agents in its early years. An agent, as I
            understand it, would take the mail from the stations enroute sorting out the
            local mail, leaving the rest in the sack for sorting in a post office
            further down the line, eg. Fonda or beyond.

            The first record I can find of a mail agent on the trains is that of a
            Jackson who formerly operated a stage line between Gloversville and
            Northville and was, in December of 1875, "travelling his own route as mail
            agent by the cars." In January of 1876, Seymour Loucks was assigned as
            postal clerk on the Fonda/Northville trains and the cars were "fitted up for
            the purpose of sorting mail enroute." Of course the company had only four
            coaches, including the light one purchased to haul behind the "dummy", and
            one baggage car at this time.

            On January 23, 1878 John S. Barker of Northville was "appointed conductor
            and mail agent on the Gloversville and Northville Railroad." Barker worked
            the route until February 1891 when he retired to take care of his ailing
            wife.

            In 1891 Baggage No. 3 was purchased which was constructed with an express
            and RPO section. No. 4 following in 1900 was similarly constructed.

            When the FJ&G went from Agent service to RPO service I can only suppose was
            about 1891, at this time. According to one of the articles I found was a
            statement that the PO dept and Express companies leased spaces in railroad
            owned cars.

            Two sites to start your exploration on this subject:

            www.si.edu/postal/exhibits/mailbyrail.html

            www.usps.gov/his2.htm#RAIL

            That's all I've got right now.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 8 , May 21, 2002
              Philatelicly, ok is that a word. Anyhow, it's a cancellation, and that's my
              view which I may stick to it.

              PKL

              >From: Knixrule1@...
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Railway Post Office Service
              >Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:10:21 -0400
              >
              >Numismatist is a coin collector, philatelist is a stamp collector. Did
              >they run RPO's on the FJ&G in the good ole days. I know that the RPO
              >clerks used to sleep in the cellar of the Jay Street Schenectady post
              >office in a bunk room.
              >

              > Steve Myers
              >
              >.
              >
              >.
              >On Tue, 21 May 2002 17:35:57 -0000 "pklarner" <pklarner@...>
              >writes:
              > > For those who might have an interest in this phase of the railroad's
              > >
              > > operation, there is on eBay an envelope with the "Fonda and
              > > Northville Agent" cancellation. The date is in 1882 and it looks
              > > real neat. I can only evaluate this from my perspective as an FJ&G
              > >
              > > collector, not numismatically (is that a word?). I haven't seen
              > > many
              > > of these (this is the third), nor do I see many of the later
              > > Northville Fonda RPO cancels.
              > >
              > > eBay item number 1353454811
              > >
              > > Does anyone of us know when the actual sorting and cancelling of
              > > mail
              > > on the Northville trains ceased?
              > >
              > > PKL

              > > Visit Gino's Railpage, Now at http://www.fjgrr.com

              > > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

              > > in New York State at
              > > http://ny.existingstations.com/
              > >
              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
              >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

            • Malcolm Horton
              Message 6 of 8 , May 21, 2002
                Gloversville had one resident named Howard Carleton Oaksford, who lived on Burlington Avenue, and who was a railway mail clerk whose regular run was on the New York Central to Cleveland. He wrote a little soft cover booklet of non-rhyming poetry about the lore of the railway mail service. It was never published but I have a copy which he gave to my father. He was extremely proud of the railway mail service and served it faithfully for half a century.

                I intend to see that this booklet is given to the Library of Congress and that he and his fellow workers are properly recognized for the great work that they did.

                Malcolm Horton

                Philatelicly, ok is that a word.  Anyhow, it's a cancellation, and that's my
                view which I may stick to it.

                PKL

                >From: Knixrule1@...
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Railway Post Office Service
                >Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:10:21 -0400
                >
                >Numismatist is a coin collector, philatelist is a stamp collector.  Did
                >they run RPO's on the FJ&G in the good ole days.  I know that the RPO
                >clerks used to sleep in the cellar of the Jay Street Schenectady post
                >office in a bunk room.
                >

                >    Steve Myers
                >
                >.
                >
                >.
                >On Tue, 21 May 2002 17:35:57 -0000 "pklarner" <pklarner@...>
                >writes:
                > > For those who might have an interest in this phase of the railroad's
                > >
                > > operation, there is on eBay an envelope with the "Fonda and
                > > Northville Agent" cancellation.  The date is in 1882 and it looks
                > > real neat.  I can only evaluate this from my perspective as an FJ&G
                > >
                > > collector, not numismatically (is that a word?).  I haven't seen
                > > many
                > > of these (this is the third), nor do I see many of the later
                > > Northville Fonda RPO cancels.
                > >
                > > eBay item number  1353454811
                > >
                > > Does anyone of us know when the actual sorting and cancelling of
                > > mail
                > > on the Northville trains ceased?
                > >
                > > PKL

                > > Visit Gino's Railpage, Now at http://www.fjgrr.com

                > > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                > > in New York State at
                > > http://ny.existingstations.com/
                > >
                > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                >Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:
                >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                Buy Stock for $4
                and no minimums.
                FREE Money 2002.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/Ey.GAA/DmVolB/TM

                Message 7 of 8 , May 22, 2002
                  Working for Uncle Sam for 19 unhappy years, and being a train nut, I have great admiration for the RPO boys, life on the road, pistols strapped to their side, and delivering the US mail on the run.

                    Steve

                  .

                  ..

                • Roland Bowers
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 22, 2002
                    My uncle, Roy Bowers, from St. Johnsville, was a railway mail clerk all of his life. His run was from New York to Buffalo.

                    Roland Bowers