FW: Broadalbin

  • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2002
      FW: Broadalbin Hi guys,

      I asked Roland for some info on the businesses located in Broadalbin, particularly
      the former Feldspar Mine which I believe became Pinewood Sawdust.  Here's
      what he sent me...

      From: "Roland Bowers" <bowers@...>
      Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 20:19:21 -0400
      To: "Gino & Kelly DiCarlo" <dicarlos@...>
      Subject: Re: Broadalbin

      Gino,

      The building that you are talking about, was used by the Mohawk Asbestos and Insulation Co. They were a very small operation, about 2 carloads per year. They gave us more grief than they were worth. The Broadalbin Coal and Supply was run by Ralph Osterhout and Morgan Bloodgood. They had a very good business there for such a small town. They sold many things beside coal. Animal feed was there biggest seller. Bloodgood sold out when I was there, some time in 1950 and Osterhout ran the business alone after  that.

      I wish I had saved some memorabilia from Broadalbin, but I don't have a trace of my work on the Railroad except what I can remember.

      Roland Bowers