Re: [FJGRailroad] NYC & Selkirk

    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2002
      Selkirk was built in the late twenties and too the Al Smith Bridge was built
      to bring the B&A into the yard. The purpose, as was the Carmen cut off
      years before to avoid the hills in and out of Schenectady) was to avoid the
      hills into and out of the Hudson Valley. Several yards saw diminished use,
      if not closure, after Selkirk was established, not the least of which was
      Karner Yard, which was the largest railroad yard in the world in the
      penultimate century, but nary a trace of which is obvious to the casual
      viewer today.

      But Selkirk was the end of the divisions and wrecking crews were usually
      positioned mid division, like Kingston, Utica, Watertown, Springfield etc.
      There were also big hooks and little hooks and the FJ&G would never have
      supported a big hook. Selkirk had the two large round houses (NYC and B&A)
      but I don't believe they had shops before the diesels. Somewhere in this
      mess of material I have information about it's building and plans etc. I
      have only a faint idea where it might be.

      Selkirk was always a big yard. It was when built actually two yards, with
      two humps, one eastward the other westward. Dewitt was upgraded in the late
      fifties/early sixties and Selkirk was cut back then rebuilt into Perleman
      Yard much as it is now. Gone are the engine houses and one side of the
      yard, but it was all replaced with a much more comprehensive plant overlying
      the former. Then Dewitt lost prominence and was almost completely closed
      until intermodal revived part of it. Dewitt is only a poor shadow of its
      former glory - also two humps, large diesel shop.

      Good sources of information on these yards are back issues of Trains and
      Railroad magazines and of course the company magazines.

      To my knowledge there was no large yard on the east shore of the River.
      Freight went to Karner and later West Albany for classification. Other
      yards eg Sandbank, Rensselaer, Schenectady, Amsterdam, Fonda etc until Utica
      were local Yards. Utica was a large yard and a jumping off point for
      freight to the north and west via the former RW&O lines and Adirondack plus
      an interchange with the DL&W and NYO&W also the West Shore came in there. A
      lot of classification was done at Utica. Syracuse's yards were downtown
      before Dewitt or East Syracuse. Walt could take you through that area.

      PKL