Vail Mills

  • Charles P Woolever
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 1999
      Does anyone know what the built date is for the Vail Mills station? I
      need it for my website. Thanks.

      Charles
      Charles P. Woolever woolever@...
      http://ny.existingstations.com Existing Stations in NYS
    • Charles P Woolever
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 1999
        It still exists. It has been moved to Perth, NY. I just took photos
        of it for my Existing Stations site. Thanks for the info.

        Charles

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 1999
          In the 1925 valuation of the FJ&G for the ICC, the building at Vails Mills
          is listed as a waiting room. If you have a picture of this doesn't it look
          just like the waiting rooms used on the trolley line eg, Tribes Hill. I
          believe I've seen a picture of this waiting room. A "station" building, if
          there was one, would have been earlier. Value was set at $455 with $35. of
          deferred maintenance. Only two tool houses on the Broadalbin, one between
          Kasson's crossing and Rupert's crossing, the other the large one at Second
          Ave. in Broadalbin.
          The valuations are neat because they supposedly counted everything, but not
          one clock is listed. I have one from the Gloversville offices, a Seth
          Thomas No. 2.

          PKL

          >From: Charles P Woolever <woolever@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Vail Mills
          >Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:21:39 -0400
          >
          >From: Charles P Woolever <woolever@...>
          >
          >It still exists. It has been moved to Perth, NY. I just took photos
          >of it for my Existing Stations site. Thanks for the info.
          >
          >Charles
          >

          >>Charles,
          >>
          >>Vail Mills was originally on the Gloversville and Broadalbin. The line
          >>was
          >>incorporated April 17, 1895, was completed in August of 1895, and was
          >>leased
          >>to the FJ&G when completed. It opened October 28, 1895.
          >>
          >>The first record of the station I have is a map of 1905.
          >>
          >>Vail Mills was a community before the railroad came and I'd guess the
          >>small
          >>station was built with the railroad.
          >>
          >>The station no longer exists, but you might want to call the Town of
          >>Broadalbin to see if the engineer's office has records of when it was
          >>built.
          >>
          >>-Aaron

          > Charles P. Woolever
          >woolever@...
          > http://ny.existingstations.com Existing Stations in NYS

          >Transfer your big list to ONElist and earn $500!
          >For program details, go to

          >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
          >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
        • Saul B. Kalbfeld
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 12, 1999
            The Vail Mills depot is listed as item #87 in the 1928 survey. The
            survey photo has a resemblance to the photo at the existing stations in
            NYS website but the window frames seem too large. I don't see any
            entires for structures on the Hagaman line that look like the current
            structure in Perth. That style of shelter with windows on either side of
            a door looks like it was a standard design.Quite a few of the shelters
            on the line to Schenectady have a similar look.
          • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
              Vail Mills I asked a visitor to my web-page about the waiting shelter in Vail Mills and if he
              knew when it was removed.  Here is the info he sent me...

              Gino

              ----------

              Hi Gino:
                 Thanks for the comeback, as to your question on the old Vail Mills station, It had to be at the same time the new Rt 29 was changed. Our home sat just about where the traffic light is now.  When the new road went in, my home was moved South on the East side about an 1/8 of a mile and as I remember the station was moved when they installed the new drains for a little creekbed. It would have been handy right now, for this is where the foot and bike trail end at Rt 30 and 29 intersection.  I truthfully don't know if the station was torn down or if someone had removed it intact. We were so busy in having our house moved, everything was in a termoil. We have been in the area 57 years,and have seen many changes. Oh yes, ther was a siding right in front of where the new info station is and the lumber Co, on top of the hill used to unload the boxcars of lumber there. Also
              the Feed and coal station in Broadalbin used the freight facilities just about every day.
                   Enough already, this is getting to look like a book.
                                                             I hope I was of some help.  Stan

              From: "Stan Czelusniak" <buffie@...>
              Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:01:36 -0500
              To: <gino@...>
              Subject: FJG News

               Hi Gino:
                    Having just scanned your article on the old FJG Railroad, it brings back many memories.  My Wife and Daughters used to ride it from Vail Mills To Gloversville to go shopping while I was at work. They still talk about the fun ride it was as it rocked and screeched on its way.  My early home was right across Rt. 30 from the little train station.
                     Thanks again for the pleasant memories.
                                                                                truly, Stan Czelusniak  (buffie@...)