Christmas Trains was Re: Radio and then some

  • fjg1870
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2002
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
      Remember the Lionel trains at Durkee's Hardware before Christmas.
      Big layout in the back of the store. I recall Sears had a large
      layout some years too, but think it was American Flyer?

      Paul,

      In addition to Durkee's, Firestone, on Bleecker St., had a large
      Lionel layout at Christmas time. Also Martin & Naylor had a small
      Lionel layout down stairs. Sears had layouts from Lionel, American
      Flyer and Marx. The main American Flyer dealer in Gloversville was
      the Sports Shop on E. Fulton St. They only had American Flyer and
      usually had a layout in one of their windows. The toy shop on N. Main
      St., near Washburn's, also had American Flyer. I would go downtown
      every chance I got just to look at the displays. As you might guess,
      I loved electric trains, still do.

      The best electric train display in the area was Wards in Menands. A
      good part of one of their floors was nothing but electric trains. Our
      family use to go there every Christmas to see them.

      By biggest regard is never going to NYC to see the Gilbert Hall of
      Science. From what I'm told, it was one of best in the country.

      Walt

      Walt