FJ&G in N-scale, not a bad idea!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 1999
      Last fall I decided to give N-scale a shot. I was in HO for all my
      modeling life, and only had a memory of N-scale from the �70's, and it
      wasn't a good memory! With all the advances, and a lot of reading, I
      thought that it could solve the space problems for a future run at the
      FJ&G.

      This was to be a "test" layout, I wanted to find out if you could
      actually get the stuff to run properly or not. All my equipment was
      "off the shelf" and I did not intend this to be totally prototypical,
      choosing Reading over trying to custom paint anything like an FJ&G S-2,
      right off the bat.

      I did find out, contrary to my, and my HO friends beliefs, you CAN do
      switching in N, the stuff DOES stay on the track, yes you do lose
      electrical contact when the track gets dirty but no more than HO-scale,
      YES you can kitbash and scratch build buildings (and anything else, if
      you want) in N-scale, and YES you can read the reporting mark during an
      operating session.

      I did find out that my chose of switches was not the right one, I used
      Micro Engineering for both my flex track and switches. The track was
      fine, the switches, well let say �I'll use Peco next time', but it was
      an experiment, so I was there to learn.

      I wouldn't hesitate to do the FJ&G in N-scale in the future. To be able
      to capture the "whole"picture and not have to leave something out.
      Switching the Fonda yard while a 80 car NYC freight blows through town,
      has a lot of appeal to me, the best of both types of railroading!

      Paul