FJ&G Interchange

  • stevefjg20
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      Can any body tell me how many times a week did the NYC drop cars off
      and pick up cars in Fonda?Same for the PC and Conrail.And about how
      many cars did they drop off?Was there a yard switcher there in Fonda
      or did the FJ&G sort the cars?

      Thanks

      Steve
    • glenn_j_williams
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "stevefjg20" <stevejamie1@j...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >

        > Can any body tell me how many
        > times a week did the NYC drop
        > cars off and pick up cars in
        > Fonda? Same for the PC and
        > Conrail.And about how many cars
        > did they drop off?Was there a
        > yard switcher there in Fonda
        > or did the FJ&G sort the cars?
        >

        > Thanks
        >
        > Steve

        Steve,

        Here is what I remember from the 50s and early 60s, subject to
        correction:

        o In the late 50s, DV-4 [Dewitt to Selkirk] and VD-75 [Selkirk to
        Dewitt] were the freights which did daylight switching at Fonda. I
        saw them mostly on weekends. When I lived on Upper Prospect St. in
        Fonda, there was sometimes a late-night freight that would bang and
        clang away, shifting cars about. Music to my ears, although other
        members of the family kept grumbling it.

        o I have no clear recollection of how many cars were involved.

        o A NYC SW1 would come up from Amsterdam for some switching but I
        don't recall a permanent switcher in Fonda. If the cars were in
        blocks for pickup by the FJ&G, the 20 or 21 had to do little, if any,
        switching other than putting their dropoffs where needed.

        Glenn
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          This is a good question. In the 80's I thought Conrail came up to Fonda on
          Tuesdays and Thursdays. And in those days many of the cars were FJ&G cars or
          DO cars or private cars so they weren't worried about demurrage charges.
          Before they got those boxcars I would guess that they were always concerned
          about demurage and to avoid weekend charges I would bet that they operated
          to Fonda on Fridays no matter what to get the foriegn empties off the FJ&G
          and put the problem in PC's yard.
          I do not think there was ever a Fonda switcher. Althought there was a Fonda
          scale track and there was a small shanty there but I think the crews
          themselves used it.
          I can recall seeing CR leave a switcher at Fonda but I think it was an
          outlawed crew not a regular job (I could be very wrong here ). I do remember
          shotting the switcher, literally an EMD NW-2 at Fonda with a number like
          8868 or something. The reason I remember it at all was the NYC herald was
          bleeding through. But I think this was an abberation.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2002
            Steve,

            My recollection from the fifties and early sixties is that the NYC delivered
            and picked up at least five days a week and because of the way pay rates
            were structured, likely six days. Mondays was always a big day for the FJ&G
            freights because of the weekend backlog. The railroad NEVER ran a freight
            train on a Sunday.

            After the early sixties I just don't know. I left town, for all practical
            purposes, in 1966. There was a switcher that took care of Fonda and other
            north side towns headquartered at Amsterdam. I can't confirm but perhaps
            someone reading who has knowledge of the NYC can tell if there was a
            switcher headquartered at Fonda during earlier times.

            The FJ&G, while I was there classified their cars before leaving Fonda.
            After the scale in Gloversville yard became to light, the FJ&G weighed their
            own cars on the Central's scales below the freight house. I have no reason
            to think it was ever different.

            PKL

            >From: "stevefjg20" <stevejamie1@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Interchange
            >Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 19:40:15 -0000
            >
            >Hello everyone,
            >

            >Can any body tell me how many times a week did the NYC drop cars off
            >and pick up cars in Fonda?Same for the PC and Conrail.And about how
            >many cars did they drop off?Was there a yard switcher there in Fonda
            >or did the FJ&G sort the cars?
            >

            >Thanks
            >
            >Steve

          • stevefjg20
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2002
              ---Thank you Paul Glenn and Joe I knew Mondays were a big day for the
              FJ&G but didn't know if the central came anyotheer days thankyou for
              the info.Friday must have been a big empty day on the FJ&G trying to
              get them back to the central so they didn't sit on the railroad all
              weekend?Paul or anybody whats the biggest train you saw on the FJ&G i
              have seen pictures of about fourteen or so but that was with DO
              engines?

            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                Steve-There were times that Conrail would drop off twice a
                day,especially went the hide mills were pushing full force in the late
                70's. The Conrail VD-7 was the regular train that would drop off cars
                daily,usually early evening.We use to try to beat them to Fonda so they
                could pick up our emptys. Mark
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                  There were large trains out of Fonda and I have several photos of them over
                  the years always on Mondays but the longest I ever saw come into
                  Gloversville yard was 17 cars. They cut south of Pine Street then pulled in
                  on the Northville with I think thirteen cars. I believe that was all the
                  Northville held up to the crossovers. The remaining cars would be pulled
                  into the west yard, where they would run around them using the crossover
                  with the jackknife switch. Before the main was removed North of Fulton
                  street there was ample room for additional cars as a northbound train could
                  run back using the main or the middle if clear. In mixed train years while
                  they still used a few crews, the Broadalbin job would be made up by the yard
                  and Broadalbin crew on the main north of the gas car spot by the express
                  office.

                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                    I remember one winter we had both the 20 & 21 derailed at the same time
                    but in different locations.Then we got rain in the meantime,and froze
                    over the rail.We were backed up over several days of inbound
                    frieght.When we finally got to Fonda to pick up our cars,we had over 80
                    cars to bring up to Gloversville area.It took about 7 round trips. Mark
                  • Roland Bowers
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2002
                      When I was agent at Broadalbin in the early fifties, I remember a train of
                      fourteen cars being brought there. We had many customers in those days,
                      including the Turkey Farm, which had carloads of feed spotted at Vail Mills,
                      Mohawk Asbestos and Insulation Co. which had its own siding, Broadalbin
                      Knitting Co. also their own siding, Broadalbin Coal and Supply and Tanner
                      Lumber Co. Our best customer was the D&K Fibre Co. D&K had carloads of rags
                      inbound and carloads of shoddy outbound.

                      Roland Bowers