100 Years (and a Day) Ago

  • glenn_j_williams
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2002
      From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

      May 1, 1902 - The street railway company and the Central freight yard
      at Akin have been connected by a branch so as to permit the movement
      of freight cars over the electric line to the new powerhouse.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2002
        A while back on the list, some of us were asking if freight was ever moved
        over the FJG electric line? I think this story is somewhat proof of this,
        but
        most of all it tells us that coal was delivered from the NYCRR to the Tribes
        Hill Power House, but I think it was by FJG electric engine, not NYC steam!

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
          > A while back on the list, some
          > of us were asking if freight was
          > ever moved over the FJG electric
          > line? I think this story is
          > somewhat proof of this, but most
          > of all it tells us that coal was
          > delivered from the NYCRR to the
          > Tribes Hill Power House, but I
          > think it was by FJG electric
          > engine, not NYC steam!
          >
          > Gino

          The ICC valuation pictures which Saul posted hint at some interesting
          trackwork around the Tribes Hill powerhouse. The trackage maps which
          PKL posted also reflect that.

          There are other references to the electric loco in the clipping file,
          mostly train orders which I suspect are for work train work. As PKL
          noted before, any freight movements were probably incidental to the
          passenger service.

          Glenn
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2002
            Not a lot of freight was handled but there are records of cars for Amsterdam
            (must have been on the west end) and the Hair Mill (Parkhurst, at Harrison
            St. Gloversville). Electric locomotive Number 1 would be dispatched when
            necessary to haul a freight movement.

            PKL