100 Years (and Three Days) Ago - Part 2

  • glenn_j_williams
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 6:33 AM
      From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

      April 30, 1902 - DOUBLE TRACK ROAD - A special meeting of the
      directors of the FJ&G RR and the Amsterdam St. Rwy. was held this
      afternoon and it was voted to double track the Cayadutta Electric RR
      from Gloversville to Tribes Hill and the Amsterdam St. RR from
      Amsterdam to Schenectady. The line is being built for a double track
      route, but it had not been decided to lay two tracks for the present,
      although the ultimate idea of a double track line was in the minds of
      the directors. At the meeting this afternoon, it was deemed the best
      policy for the company to build two tracks from Gloversville to
      Schenectady and do away with the possibility of head-on collision
      [sic]. The decision means the expenditure of much additional money
      in purchasing rails, but it was considered a more economic proceeding
      than to build one track and stand the possibility of a collision of
      cars running a high speed on a single track, with the possiblity of a
      wreck and damage suits which would cripple the road.

      [The last sentence wanders a bit toward the end, but the meaning
      comes through. Note that this is 3 months before the Mountain Lake
      wreck.]
    • leedarshi
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3 4:02 AM
        Glenn,

        I love reading these historical tidbits you send the group! Please know, I hope you continue and when you run out of new stuff, then kindly restart.

        Lee
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 5:18 AM
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "leedarshi" <LeeDarshi@e...> wrote:
          > Glenn,
          >
          > I love reading these historical tidbits you send the group! Please
          know, I hope you continue and when you run out of new stuff, then
          kindly restart.

          > Lee

          Lee,

          Thanks for the support for me and, more importantly, for Gino.

          We are all just custodians of the information we have gathered. Our
          task is not to hoard it but to share it with others who are
          interested. Hopefully, when put together, it all makes some sense
          and recreates not only the events that happened 'way back when' but
          also why they happened. The more information you have to evaluate,
          the better.

          I was fortunate that years ago Bob Bedford let me copy part of his
          clippings file on the Electric Division. I was lucky enough not to
          lose it in all the moves I have made. The information in it is of no
          use if it sits in my file cabinet, never to see the light of day.

          This message board is a way of sharing information and opinions, of
          asking questions and receiving answers. We're fortunate that Gino
          has moderated it for us. Myself, I've learned so much from it.

          The same applies to Gino's website, too. Did anyone else's heart
          sink when access to it appeared gone? Again, there is a lot of
          useful information there, information which Gino has willingly shared
          with us, information which we have shared with each other.

          One fellow I supervised some time ago took a too-proprietory attitude
          to the loss data he processed. I had to remind him, "Zeke, they're
          not your losses. They're the company's. We're just letting you play
          with them for a while."

          Glenn