Re: 100 Years Ago

  • glenn_j_williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2002
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Frank Pierson <fpierson@n...> wrote:
      > Most all that is described is
      > now Route 5. Just past Cranesville
      > fire house it started to rise but
      > stayed below Swart Hill Rd. I
      > remember the old crossing at the
      > bottom of Swart hill.
      >
      > It went through Hoffmans just up
      > from 5 on Wolf Hollow Rd. (old
      > name was Hoffman Hill RD.) The
      > Hoffmans fire house sits on the old
      > roadbed.
      >
      > Frank

      Frank,

      Thanks for the update. My knowledge of the Electric Division east of
      Amsterdam, except for the Hoffmans curve, has always been fuzzy, so
      this helps fill in the gaps.

      Until the Amsterdam Mall was built, the trackage was fully visible
      along Main Street, including the passing siding, complete with its
      switch points. As I recall, at the east end of town, the line swung
      to the south by what was Mohawk Carpet onto private ROW. Memory
      fails me if the tracks were still in at that location.

      I was always unclear where it crossed over Route 5. Bob Bedford had
      a picture from that spot, looking east, of a westbound Limited
      kicking up dust as it crossed. That image has always stuck in my
      mind.

      The topo map posted by Paul Larner is a valuable addition.

      Come August and the Second Annual FJ&G Chowder and Marching Society
      Meeting, we definitely have a road trip!

      Glenn