100 Years Ago

  • glenn_j_williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
      From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

      "April 3, 1902 - CHANGES IN THE TURNPIKE - The electric railraod
      extension now being built to Schenectady will make a great many
      changes between Amsterdam and Hoffmans. The new line will start at
      the end of the present railroad and continue down East Main Street to
      the residence of George Ross, where it leaves the turnpike and is
      constructed on private land on the south side of the roadway. It
      will continue along the VanBergen flats and the old Creeler Ball
      Grounds, then under the tracks of the Amsterday, Chuctanunda &
      Northern RR (Kellogg's Branch). Starting at the farm of John G.
      DeGraff, it will be constructed parallel with the NYC&HR RR all the
      way to Cranesville, similar to a fifth track.

      "Five buildings will have to be moved at John G. DeGraff's to make
      way for the tracks, and this, together with the straightening of the
      turnpike and grading of this hill, will make a great improvement.

      "The tracks will be laid on the south side of the street through
      Cranesville, and, crossing the turnpike just below the residence of
      Francis Morris, will gradually work up along the side of the hills
      and across the rocky cliff at Hoffmans at a point far above the
      turnpike, where a fine view of the valley can be obtained."

      Anyone know where the residences cited where?

      Glenn
    • Frank Pierson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2002
        Most all that is described is now Route 5. Just past Cranesville fire house it started to rise but stayed below Swart Hill Rd. I remember the old crossing at the bottom of Swart hill.

             It went through Hoffmans just up from 5 on Wolf Hollow Rd. (old name was Hoffman Hill RD.)  The Hoffmans fire house sits on the old roadbed.

        Frank

        glenn_j_williams wrote:
        >From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

        "April 3, 1902 - CHANGES IN THE TURNPIKE - The electric railraod
        extension now being built to Schenectady will make a great many
        changes between Amsterdam and Hoffmans.  The new line will start at
        the end of the present railroad and continue down East Main Street to
        the residence of George Ross, where it leaves the turnpike and is
        constructed on private land on the south side of the roadway.  It
        will continue along the VanBergen flats and the old Creeler Ball
        Grounds, then under the tracks of the Amsterday, Chuctanunda &
        Northern RR (Kellogg's Branch).  Starting at the farm of John G.
        DeGraff, it will be constructed parallel with the NYC&HR RR all the
        way to Cranesville, similar to a fifth track.

        "Five buildings will have to be moved at John G. DeGraff's to make
        way for the tracks, and this, together with the straightening of the
        turnpike and grading of this hill, will make a great improvement.

        "The tracks will be laid on the south side of the street through
        Cranesville, and, crossing the turnpike just below the residence of
        Francis Morris, will gradually work up along the side of the hills
        and across the rocky cliff at Hoffmans at a point far above the
        turnpike, where a fine view of the valley can be obtained."

        Anyone know where the residences cited where?

             Glenn

        in New York State at
        http://ny.existingstations.com/

      • glenn_j_williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Frank Pierson <fpierson@n...> wrote:
          > Most all that is described is
          > now Route 5. Just past Cranesville
          > fire house it started to rise but
          > stayed below Swart Hill Rd. I
          > remember the old crossing at the
          > bottom of Swart hill.
          >
          > It went through Hoffmans just up
          > from 5 on Wolf Hollow Rd. (old
          > name was Hoffman Hill RD.) The
          > Hoffmans fire house sits on the old
          > roadbed.
          >
          > Frank

          Frank,

          Thanks for the update. My knowledge of the Electric Division east of
          Amsterdam, except for the Hoffmans curve, has always been fuzzy, so
          this helps fill in the gaps.

          Until the Amsterdam Mall was built, the trackage was fully visible
          along Main Street, including the passing siding, complete with its
          switch points. As I recall, at the east end of town, the line swung
          to the south by what was Mohawk Carpet onto private ROW. Memory
          fails me if the tracks were still in at that location.

          I was always unclear where it crossed over Route 5. Bob Bedford had
          a picture from that spot, looking east, of a westbound Limited
          kicking up dust as it crossed. That image has always stuck in my
          mind.

          The topo map posted by Paul Larner is a valuable addition.

          Come August and the Second Annual FJ&G Chowder and Marching Society
          Meeting, we definitely have a road trip!

          Glenn