100 Years Ago

  • glenn_j_williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
      Tomorrow, that is.

      April 3, 1902 - WORK ON HAGAMAN EXTENSION - The work of construction
      on the Amsterdam St. Rwy's extension from the Eighth Ward to Hagaman
      was begun today when a force of about 25 men began grading. The
      route to be followed will necessitate the construction of five
      bridges, four across the Chuctanunda Creek and the fifth over the
      tail race of L. W. Harrower's Anchor Mill. All will be of steel
      construction and the largest bridge, which will be of two spans and
      100 feet long, to be built across the Anchor Mill creek on a thirty
      degree curve, will be built by the Springfield Construction Company.
      The other four bridges will be built by the railroad company. The
      contract for the rubble work along the route, which will amount to
      750 yards, has been awarded to McCaghey & Lineham of Sandy Hill, who
      will begin work the latter part of the week."

      - from Bob Bedford's clipping file.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
        Glenn,

        This kind of stuff is great! I've always wanted to do something like
        "this day in FJG history" but only have so much! Keep that kind of stuff
        coming! It would also help with the chronology I'm trying to put
        together for the web-page...

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
          From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

          "April 3, 1902 - CHANGES IN THE TURNPIKE - The electric railraod
          extension now being built to Schenectady will make a great many
          changes between Amsterdam and Hoffmans. The new line will start at
          the end of the present railroad and continue down East Main Street to
          the residence of George Ross, where it leaves the turnpike and is
          constructed on private land on the south side of the roadway. It
          will continue along the VanBergen flats and the old Creeler Ball
          Grounds, then under the tracks of the Amsterday, Chuctanunda &
          Northern RR (Kellogg's Branch). Starting at the farm of John G.
          DeGraff, it will be constructed parallel with the NYC&HR RR all the
          way to Cranesville, similar to a fifth track.

          "Five buildings will have to be moved at John G. DeGraff's to make
          way for the tracks, and this, together with the straightening of the
          turnpike and grading of this hill, will make a great improvement.

          "The tracks will be laid on the south side of the street through
          Cranesville, and, crossing the turnpike just below the residence of
          Francis Morris, will gradually work up along the side of the hills
          and across the rocky cliff at Hoffmans at a point far above the
          turnpike, where a fine view of the valley can be obtained."

          Anyone know where the residences cited where?

          Glenn
        • Frank Pierson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2002
            Most all that is described is now Route 5. Just past Cranesville fire house it started to rise but stayed below Swart Hill Rd. I remember the old crossing at the bottom of Swart hill.

                 It went through Hoffmans just up from 5 on Wolf Hollow Rd. (old name was Hoffman Hill RD.)  The Hoffmans fire house sits on the old roadbed.

            Frank

            glenn_j_williams wrote:
            >From the Bob Bedford clipping file:

            "April 3, 1902 - CHANGES IN THE TURNPIKE - The electric railraod
            extension now being built to Schenectady will make a great many
            changes between Amsterdam and Hoffmans.  The new line will start at
            the end of the present railroad and continue down East Main Street to
            the residence of George Ross, where it leaves the turnpike and is
            constructed on private land on the south side of the roadway.  It
            will continue along the VanBergen flats and the old Creeler Ball
            Grounds, then under the tracks of the Amsterday, Chuctanunda &
            Northern RR (Kellogg's Branch).  Starting at the farm of John G.
            DeGraff, it will be constructed parallel with the NYC&HR RR all the
            way to Cranesville, similar to a fifth track.

            "Five buildings will have to be moved at John G. DeGraff's to make
            way for the tracks, and this, together with the straightening of the
            turnpike and grading of this hill, will make a great improvement.

            "The tracks will be laid on the south side of the street through
            Cranesville, and, crossing the turnpike just below the residence of
            Francis Morris, will gradually work up along the side of the hills
            and across the rocky cliff at Hoffmans at a point far above the
            turnpike, where a fine view of the valley can be obtained."

            Anyone know where the residences cited where?

                 Glenn

            in New York State at
            http://ny.existingstations.com/

          • glenn_j_williams
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2002
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Frank Pierson <fpierson@n...> wrote:
              > Most all that is described is
              > now Route 5. Just past Cranesville
              > fire house it started to rise but
              > stayed below Swart Hill Rd. I
              > remember the old crossing at the
              > bottom of Swart hill.
              >
              > It went through Hoffmans just up
              > from 5 on Wolf Hollow Rd. (old
              > name was Hoffman Hill RD.) The
              > Hoffmans fire house sits on the old
              > roadbed.
              >
              > Frank

              Frank,

              Thanks for the update. My knowledge of the Electric Division east of
              Amsterdam, except for the Hoffmans curve, has always been fuzzy, so
              this helps fill in the gaps.

              Until the Amsterdam Mall was built, the trackage was fully visible
              along Main Street, including the passing siding, complete with its
              switch points. As I recall, at the east end of town, the line swung
              to the south by what was Mohawk Carpet onto private ROW. Memory
              fails me if the tracks were still in at that location.

              I was always unclear where it crossed over Route 5. Bob Bedford had
              a picture from that spot, looking east, of a westbound Limited
              kicking up dust as it crossed. That image has always stuck in my
              mind.

              The topo map posted by Paul Larner is a valuable addition.

              Come August and the Second Annual FJ&G Chowder and Marching Society
              Meeting, we definitely have a road trip!

              Glenn