Caboose #3

  • CRIPNUT@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24 7:24 PM
      Hello all,

      My name is Brian, and have just joined your little group. I have, however
      been a visitor to Gino's web page for over a year now, and a far removed fan
      of the FJ&G since I first read the 1977 MR article.(I live in Iowa). I have
      been collecting info on the line ever since(not much). Bits and pieces do
      appear in the press though.
      I just finished reading the archives and thought I should respond to the
      caboose conversation. For those of you who may not know, a color photo of #3
      appears in the vastly useful, Cabins, Crummies and Hacks Vol 1. As was
      stated, it is an ex D&H caboose of their standard design. Even better, I
      believe Gloor Craft made a kit of it in HO scale.
      Another reference for color photos is Classic Locomotives Vol 1 by the
      same publisher(H&M productions). In it you will find photos of 20 & 21.
      I have always wanted a couple of models and finally have finished artwork
      for decals. I hope to get them printed up soon.

      I hope this helps someone,
      Brian
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001
        I found a site with pictures of D&H center-cupola wooden cabooses... the
        exact model of FJ&G #3. Here are the direct links:
        http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/dh/dh35708at.jpg
        http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/dh/dh35830at.jpg
        http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/dh/dh35701at.jpg

        Also, a picture of the D&H flanger at Steamtown:
        http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/dh/dh36037.jpg

        -Aaron
      • supportone@wordsystems.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2001
          Those are great shots of the cabooses! Thanks a lot for the
          posting. Every bit of detail helps.

          Dan Owens

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2001
            Actually, let me take back some of what I said. Upon closer inspection, I
            realized that the first and third images were of a different model D&H
            caboose. The FJ&G #3 had iron supports on both sides, set at 45-degree
            angles... and some of the cabooses in the other pictures didn't have those
            iron support strips. The caboose on the right in this picture is the proper
            model:
            http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/dh/dh35830at.jpg

            Sorry for the mix-up.

            -Aaron
          • Walt Danylak
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2001
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@s...> wrote:
              I found a site with pictures of D&H center-cupola wooden cabooses...

              The May 1972 issue of Model Railroader has photos and drawings of
              the "standard" D&H wood caboose. The drawing shows the original
              configuration of the caboose, but some of the photos show the caboose
              after being rebuilt with larger windows and side bracing, like FJ&G
              #3.

              Walt
            • stevefjg30
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2014

                I cant seem to find my notes was the Ex D&H caboose purchased in 57 with the flanger or later I cant remember I know the Flanger was 57.

                Thanks

                Steve Lamora