Re: Fw: [FJGRailroad]

  • leedarshi
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2002
      Another Neat Story, Steve!
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 9:26 AM
      Subject: Re: Fw: [FJGRailroad]

      I have two more teenage stories on paper Lee, once I get them off to a
      railroad magazine I will share them with you.

      Steve

           Each day my best friend and I would walk to Sandbank yard.  There
      was an old green Penn Central caboose that we would get to ride in once
      in a while, but we would choose the locomotive ride over the caboose.  If
      a mean crew was on, we would ride to Schenectady in a box or gon.  The
      caboose was never locked, so if nothing was moving, we would hang out in
      it as our private little club.  After several months, a lock appeared on
      our caboose door so we broke it off and to ensure our entrance, we broke
      the locks off the windows as well.  We cleaned and swept our caboose and
      even brought models and such to work on at the table.  It was great on a
      cold and snowy day to warm up in our private caboose and smoke our corn
      cob pipes and pretend that we were railroad men.  One night we each told
      our parents that we were sleeping at the other ones house but secretly
      headed for the caboose with pillows and sleeping bags.  We awoke to
      voices calling our names at around three am.  From the Sunnyside bridge
      it sounded as though his mother and my grandmother were calling for us.
      This could not be, so we went back to sleep.  The next morning Grandma
      and Mrs. so and so were at my house waiting for us and yes, they had been
      at the train yard looking for us.  One cold dark evening, we walked to
      our caboose through the snow only to find the door locked again.  The
      evening crew never ever used the caboose since they only worked from four
      to seven pm and it would slow up their early quit.  We climbed through
      the window and sat in our caboose, an hour or so later we could see a
      lantern coming toward us and we hid under the table while the caboose
      rocked as someone climbed up the steps.  The light shined through the
      door window and we crouched silently in fear.  The brakeman got off and
      stood by the caboose and waved his lantern in a circle in the dark night.
      We could see the locomotive headlight coming toward us but we failed to
      believe because they never used that caboose at night.  As the light got
      closer and closer and the brakeman was at the front door of our caboose,
      we began to get nervous.  The rear door was locked from the outside, the
      front blocked by a railroad man, and the locomotive was nearly to us, so
      we leaped from the window and ran.  We heard the man yell and start to
      run after us, our hearts pounded and we were in fear of being caught.
      The harder and faster we ran, it seemed that he was still faster.  Then
      we heard a terrific crash!  No one waved to the engine to slow or stop so
      he coupled to the caboose with great force.  We made it to the woods and
      hid with fear that our panting breaths would give us away.  The next day
      the yard was filled with railroad bulls, they brought out candles,
      plastic models, glue, and two corn cob pipes and cherry tobbacco and
      reported that it must have been kids.  Our many friends on the day shift
      warned us to stay away for awhile and a van was set up near the bridge by
      railroad police to watch and video tape events for a week.  Probably for
      a month or better that winter, we did not go near Sandbank Yard, and that
      was the end of our warm little clubhouse caboose.

         Steve

      .
      .

      On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 07:39:36 -0500 "leedarshi" <LeeDarshi@...>
      writes:

      > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad]
      >

      > Steve,
      >
      > Wow! This was great to read! Keep telling these kinds of stories.
      >
      > Lee

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

      in New York State at
      http://ny.existingstations.com/