Re: [FJGRailroad] S & S RR

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
      The S&S railroad was the Saratoga & Schenectady Railroad, chartered Feb. 16, 1831 and completed in 1832. It was 22 miles long and was the second railroad in Schenectady, the first being the Mohawk and Hudson Railroad which was chartered April 11, 1826 and completed in 1831. The latter was 18.2 miles long.

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
        Gino,

        What is the S & S Railroad?

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
          Uncle.

          The D & H Railroad purchased what was several railroads in the capital area.  One was the
          Schenectady & Saratoga Railroad which ran between the 2 cities.  Before it would become
          the D & H's Saratoga Line, The S & S used to run to Saratoga from Schenectady from
          the Stockade section of Schenectady, cross the Mohawk, run by Collins Park and follow
          along Sunnyside Road where it connected to where the present day D & H is, right above
          Freeman's Bridge Road.  I didn't realize this until Malcolm pointed it out and I researched!