Tribes Hill Power House

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      Does anyone know how they brought the coal to this power house? I have heard someone say that there was a rail connection to the NY Central either at Tribes Hill or at Amsterdam, but I do not ever remember seeing such a connection. I recall that, while looking down from the trolley while on the high trestle just behind the power house, there seemed to be a siding at that high level. If they brought hopper cars of coal, which could be dumped by gravity out of the bottom, this would be an ideal way to get the coal unloaded. The FJ&G did have at least one electric locomotive which could bring coal cars in on the trolley line. I know that there was a connection from the steam line to the trolley line in Gloversville. Maybe they got the coal to Tribes Hill tat way. They could have had a connection to the NYC in Amsterdam and used their electric locomotives to get coal to Tribes Hill. Any ideas?

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        Malcolm,

        The FJ&G had an interchange track in the NYC Fort Johnson yard. From here
        they hauled the coal to the power plant and occassional cars to the
        Parkhurst Mill on the back line and a rare car to Amsterdam but for whom I
        am not sure. I have somewhere copies of freight records of the freight
        hauled from Fort Johnson giving car numbers and destinations. It appears
        the electric locomotive would go down from Gloversville when there was
        freight to move.

        In the files section under track plans or some similar folder title I posted
        the track layout at Fort Johnson some time back.

        PKL