Re: [FJGRailroad] Toboggan Factory

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
      Peter's lumber company produced high quality, straight grain,  Ash wood blanks for baseball bats. Whether they actually made bats or just provided the blanks for others to make bats, I do not know. I purchased a number of blanks from them while I was in high school and used the wood turning lathe in Estee School  to custom make bats for some of my friends. I would take them out of the lathe, let them take a few trial swings, and then put them back in the lathe to trim a little more wood off. When the bat was finished, I would apply a very hard wax to the spinning bat. I believe it was called Knorbo wax. Harry Fordham always kept some in stock for this purpose. The woodworking shop had wonderful power tools. Mr. Fordham always stayed till 6:00 PM so that guys could work on their special projects after school. Fordham was one of those very special teachers who was totally dedicated to his work. I am sure he was fondly remembered by many hundreds of his pupils. The shop had a 36 inch band saw, a 14 inch joiner, a 14 inch circular saw and the big wood turning lathe. All were direct driven by individual electric motors (no belts).

      Malcolm Horton