Re: [FJGRailroad] Rochester derailment

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21 3:14 PM
      Confirming my earlier reply about Alplaus and Rexford trolley service, there definitely was a trolley loop from the north end of the Schenectady Railroad trolley bridge, at Alplaus east to Rexford then across the route #146 highway bridge to Craig thence back along Aqueduct Road to the south end of the SRC bridge. This loop was single track. The Amusement park between Alplaus and Rexford had a succession of names, River View Park, Luna Park, Dolles Park and Rexford Park. The main trolley line from Schenectady to Saratoga went across the Mohawk River on the Schenectady Railway Co. Bridge to Alplaus and continued straight north from there. It was double tracked. The amusement park could also be reached by boat using the Erie Canal and disembarking at Rexford. One popular boat providing this service was the Kitty West out of Schenctady. Sometimes it would tow a barge with an orchestra and a dance floor. It frequently continued down the canal from Rexford to Vischer's Ferry. Some times it went West from Schenectady to the Auriesville Shrine.

      Malcolm Horton