More on Cement and WTEN

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2000
      What Aaron was saying yesterday for cement hoppers in Broadalbin probably relates
      the the reconstruction of Rt. 29 around the village. That was a big project, maybe
      10 miles over to Galway. That was a lot of concrete. The year was maybe 1955??
      Too bad one time projects don't help the bottom line in the long term. What it
      meant was they could make the payroll and pay for the taxes for another few months.

      WTEN--I worked for the station from 1966 to 1969. That was after the transmitter
      had been moved into the Helderbergs near Thatcher Park. The chief engineer talked
      about Broadalbin and what a pain that site had been The concrete pod supporting
      the tower sunk from the weight of the tower and water flooded the cable trenches
      in the building. They had a small critter problem. More than once a mouse got into
      the transmitter cabinets and was electrocuted knocking the station off the air.
      You're braver than me. When I was at Channel 6 in New Bedford, I went up about
      50 feet that was high enough for me.
      Saul
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2000
        Saul,

        I had no clue you have worked in television! Did you know that I am
        majoring in broadcast journalism?

        From: skalbfel@... <skalbfel@...>
        To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
        Date: Friday, February 11, 2000 6:34 PM
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] More on Cement and WTEN

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2000
          It wasn't bravery, more youthful bravado. The nothing could happen to me
          attitude. Today I have trouble with adjusting the weather station on my
          roof, if I have to walk on the roof. As a kid myself and friends would
          climb any thing including the corners of the Estee building on Fremont St.,
          just to do it.

          Paul