RE: [FJGRailroad] Amtrak

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
      What's wrong with PAs? Next thing you're gonna tell me is that you
      don't like Sharks!

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
        Paul wouldnt hold the senority on D&H.He will be working the extra list
        on the yard job in Saratoga Yard.Or maybe the yard job in
        Allentown.Better stay where you are Paul! Mark
      • dowens15228
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
          The only place that Amtrak seems to be making money is in the
          Northeast and the West coast (Acccording to the NY Times). Those
          profits go to cover the losses from the long-haul service elseware.

          The problem is that Congress has got to decide whether the country
          needs long haul passenger service or not. If so, fund it and accept
          the inevitable losses, if not then shut it down.

          Amtrak wants $1.2B, if I had to vote, I'd give it to them! I would
          hate to think that the only way to travel on a long train trip across
          North America would be to travel to Canada and take VIA's Canadien.

          I love trains, but one of the problems is cost. My wife has to go to
          a writers conference in Taos, NM in March. The round trip airfare
          from Pittsburgh was $230.00, the train was $1800.00. The time
          commitment to fly was about 5 or 6 hours each way (arrive the same
          day) vs nearly 3 days for the train.

          I feel bad for the 1000 workers who are getting laid off.

          Dan Owens

          Dan Owens
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
            Only the railfans liked the sharks because they were different.
            Unfortunately Baldwin didn't get it right in the diesel market dominated by
            EMD and to some extent ALCo. The PA's were sleek, probably the best looking
            diesel ever built. I don't care for running old, worn out and poorly or
            improperly repaired equipment. Consider the FL9's Amtrak had. I ran them
            so I can say I did, but they're like running an old GP9, so what. I've run
            what I think were Alco (MLW) 636's on the CB&NS, now if you want to talk
            about a lot of locomotive those brutes were in the big leagues in their day.
            You can only imagine what they would do when new. When I got on them they
            were dirty and down but not out and not what you'd like to get on every day
            if there were an new and clean alternative.

            Look at Amtraks F40's. Saved the company from ruin and part of a fleet that
            comprises the largest group of locomotives ever built. A fine locomotive
            when new and maintained. Today and for the past few years that I am aware
            many were plain crappy. They did respond as any older EMD did but they are
            loud, dirty and uncomfortable today. I ran them when they were relatively
            new and well maintained a few times on the CV. Once great engines.

            Locomotives which are neither maintained properly or kept clean and painted
            are kind of like old folks. You have to respect them for what they've
            accomplished and all the rest, but they're only a shadow of their former
            selves.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
              I don't expect to be looking anywhere soon, much less D&H.

              But this IS the railroad industry and I've seen it change overnight too many
              times in the past 36 years to spend a check not already banked. 1000
              employees can come from the glitter around the brass in Washington and other
              HQ's. What's being talked about is the fate of intercity. There are a lot
              of jobs associated with keeping those overnight jobs running that can't be
              paid for with the revenue from those trains.

              At least thirteen engineer's jobs associated with 48 and 49 alone between
              Boston, Albany and Buffalo.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                all the engineers I meet just want soft seats and leg room such as a wide
                cab Paul. Thats where the Canadians win, better lights, better seats,
                better creature comforts, even a hot plate and microwave.

                Steve Myers
                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • Knixrule1@juno.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                  Amtrak is a political potato, started by Nixon it is still the baby of
                  the democrats. It shows the difference between the two parties belief
                  systems, one to privatize and the other to control everything. It
                  reminds me of the mess called Conrail in her early years, forever
                  creating five year plans to become profitable but couldn't wean her from
                  the free and easy tax dollars. She was the joke of the railroad industry
                  and lived with names like "different circus-same clowns". It was under
                  Reagan that Conrail was told to crap or get off the pot, Elizabeth Dole
                  as payback for Bobs help getting Ron elected, was named sec of
                  transportation. Bags of money were exchanged and out came Elizabeths
                  backing for the entire system to be sold to the NS. This created the
                  "let Conrail be Conrail" movement and turned big blue into a real
                  railroad. Amtrak is well established in New York state, and we pay very
                  high taxes for such benefits. THe northeast makes money with passenger
                  rail service but when the republicans put the squeeze on Amtrak to be
                  profitable and free of tax dollars, they turn to attract freight from
                  profitable private railroads to attach at the end of their trains.
                  Amtrak tried to bid on the UPS business and take it from the private
                  sector. Is it right for a quasi-governmental company to use your track
                  and then go after your business while supporting themselves with tax
                  dollars ? It is like the post office selling ties and coffee cups while
                  offering poor mail service and Joes Tie Shop next door has to pay
                  property taxes, sales taxes, license and registration fees but is trying
                  to make a living selling ties. Why was super steel built in Schenectady
                  county and the old turbos reserected when there was no need for the
                  factory? Why did state and local politicians flock to the ribbon
                  cutting, but now the doors are quietly closing at super steel, and who
                  payed for the little game of reviving "locomotive building in
                  Schenectady"? There will be an Amtrak and they will grow and cut back
                  depending on who runs Washington, my concern is for the working man just
                  trying to make a living and retirement. I love trains and to me, the
                  more the merrier, but Amtrak does have some problems to solve, if Uncle
                  Sam stepped in back in the 1960's to help passenger service, rather than
                  force, rape, and tax the rail industry to death while paying to build and
                  maintain roads for trucks and busses, rivers and canals for barges, and
                  airports and controllers for planes, we might have a better rail system
                  for passengers.

                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                    Paul-Are you usually alone in the cab,or are there two of you like the
                    frieght jobs?Mark
                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                      Steve-Dont forget arm rests,air conditioning and seats that recline.
                      Mark
                    • Richard A. Finn

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                          Alone. Mark, you have no signals on the Susie-Q ? The D & H has to wait
                          for a form D every time they leave Selkirk yard.

                          Steve
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                            Steve-Only signal we have on the whole NYSW is at Chenango Forks.They
                            just put in an automatic switch,so it to became an interlocking CP
                            Forks.Of course when we run to NJ we have signals on the NS Southern
                            Tier from CP BD to CP HJ. At CP HJ we then go onto the Hudson Secondary
                            (Form D Territory) to station point Pelton.At Pelton then the tracks
                            become the NYSW (southern Div.) all the way to Little Ferry NJ. From CP
                            BD to CP HJ is about 130 miles and CP HJ to Pelton is about 20 miles.
                            From Binghamton to Little Ferry is about a total 250 miles.If we have
                            clear signals all the way we can do it in 9 hours. Mark
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                              Canadian workers enjoy a leverage against corporate domination not known by
                              the US worker.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                                The Amtrak engineer is usually alone. Jobs which operate over six hours
                                straight away receive a second engineer by contract. The Rutland job is
                                some sort of anomaly. While operating less than six hours straight away,
                                there is no time at Rutland during the day for a break so a second man is
                                supplied by assigning two of the Montreal job second engineers to the train
                                as their fifth day. There is a nother day filled out by someone and for the
                                rest of it a man is placed on the job from the spare board. The night job
                                is given a second engineer when the spare board is slow to work off the
                                guarantee. On the night job we are not let out of Rutland until the VTR's
                                Whitehall freight leaves so there is a bit of time for a mealbreak.

                                PKL

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                                  That's important to keep in mind. A principal function of Amtrak is to
                                  provide pork in the politician's district. Pork keeps the poor folks fed
                                  and the politicians fat. Many of us decry pork but a far greater number of
                                  us live off it, not just Amtrak - everywhere. Pork is good for the US
                                  economy. Back to Canada, they call their pork socialism.

                                  It's a form of redistribution. Just depends on whose getting forked and
                                  who's eating. Everybody gets their share, rich and poor alike.
                                  Unfortunately it's the middle income earner who is paying a disproportionate
                                  share of the bill. Reagan nailed us to the cross with his tax increases,
                                  then Bush1; nasty Bill did a major restructuring with his tax package (I
                                  believe his only piece of legislation he ever got through in 8 years) when
                                  he still had a Democratic congress in 1993 when he redistributed the burde
                                  to the very wealth and corporations. He redistributed a significant amount
                                  down to the lower income levels be he too provided nothing to the working
                                  middle class (40 to 200 M)

                                  What's this got to do with railroads?

                                  PKL

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                                    Paul,

                                    I have strong conservative leanings, but I agree with you. Oh the
                                    poor working man, how long can they pile these bricks on his back?

                                    Steve

                                  • cbrozek@rinstitute.org
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 19, 2002
                                      RE: [FJGRailroad] S-1/CACV
                                      Wow, I sent this two days ago!  Hey, Yahoo is about as good as the USPS!

                                      Anyone have more info on that Amtrak Autotrain crash in Crescent City, FL earlier?

                                      Chris
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 11, 2005
                                        Much is true here, Amtrak is a democrat baby with no real reason to
                                        tighten its belt since it is on the nipple of the taxpayer. it is a
                                        bottomless pit, all the political appointees have been democrat clowns
                                        like Dukakis, now Bush is bad to fill posts with republicans? It is hard
                                        to be a train buff and watch a decline in any type of rail service, but
                                        the choice is to cut spending somewhere or grow the government even more.
                                        Conrail was the same scenario, don't tighten the belt because Uncle Sam
                                        will pay the bills. It was only in the 1980's that Ronald Reagan put the
                                        squeeze on Conrail and it turned into a well run company. My concern is
                                        to see a good rail passenger service in America, paying fair and
                                        competitive wages. Like the postal service or public transportation, it
                                        will not turn a profit, so what price are we the taxpayers willing to
                                        pay? Don't get me wrong, I feel that both parties are evil and corrupt,
                                        but I do favor the core values of one party, too bad they don't stick to
                                        them.

                                        Steve

                                      • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 11, 2005
                                          Well put Steve... couldn't agree with you more....
                                                                                                                   Phil and Sheila
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 11, 2005
                                            The vote on the Amtrak funding bill which was overwhelmingly bi partisan
                                            provided sufficient funding for enough years forward to protect Amtrak from
                                            the cronyism of the Bush administration in their give away of Amtrak and its
                                            assets. If Amtrak went bankrupt who do you think would get the Penn
                                            Station property? The cronies who now hold the mortgage. And what of the
                                            rest of it's assets. The name Timothy Mellon comes to mind and what his
                                            grab was on the B&M - real estate. This water is deep.

                                            Amtrak has issues, no denial. Much of those problems come from underfunding
                                            of the capital needs. If amtrak were treated like the other transportation
                                            entities funded by the national government, comparisons could more easily be
                                            made (and they could be more easily hidden) Is rail transportation more
                                            important to the national economy that air or highway transport? Hard to
                                            tell but I don't believe this administration believes it is.

                                            Thought just ran through my mind - when you talk about not trusting either
                                            party - you know it is quite possible this administration doesn't really
                                            care one whit what's best for the country - only what's best for themselves.

                                            Public servants no longer see their responsibilities as public service.
                                            They concentrate on getting reelected. Remember John Kennedy's statement:
                                            "Ask not what my country can do for me, but what can I do for my country?"
                                            Where is that spirit today. Appropriate on Veterans Day when men, who long
                                            ago passed the age when men went to war, are now taken from established jobs
                                            and growing families to possibly die for our freedom. I hope we will all
                                            say thank you when we meet a young man or woman who has served. (That's
                                            from my perspective. Some of you who read this may find those serving
                                            overseas today are half a generation older than you.)

                                            PKL