Amtrak

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2002
      The news just reported that Amtrak is laying off 100 people! What's the
      story? What's
      going to happen with Amtrak?

      Gino
    • William Powers
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 2, 2002
        I heard the number was 1000.. There may not be an Amtrak next year at this
        time.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 2, 2002
          That's a pretty big number! The paper this morning says Amtrak
          with close down routes soon! They're not sure what New York Routes
          will get cut! Some people say Amtrak is cutting the routes to get
          more federal funding. To tell you the truth, I want to see the
          wonderful old D & H PA passenger trains running to Montreal! Heck
          with Amtrak! I used to love those trains when I was a kid! I can
          still remember buying a PA dummy when I was a kid because those were
          my favorite engines to see on the D & H! Paul Larner will have to
          get a job with the new provider! Wouldn't you like to zip up to
          Montreal running a PA Paul?

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 2, 2002
            If it ever gets to point where the layoffs get crucial enough and
            closing of routes;my guess the government would step in and give a
            helping hand.Amtrak monopolizes on the rail passenger service,any
            massive interuption would cause a big problem for the country. Mark
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 2, 2002
              NO.

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
                What's wrong with PAs? Next thing you're gonna tell me is that you
                don't like Sharks!

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
                  Paul wouldnt hold the senority on D&H.He will be working the extra list
                  on the yard job in Saratoga Yard.Or maybe the yard job in
                  Allentown.Better stay where you are Paul! Mark
                • dowens15228
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
                    The only place that Amtrak seems to be making money is in the
                    Northeast and the West coast (Acccording to the NY Times). Those
                    profits go to cover the losses from the long-haul service elseware.

                    The problem is that Congress has got to decide whether the country
                    needs long haul passenger service or not. If so, fund it and accept
                    the inevitable losses, if not then shut it down.

                    Amtrak wants $1.2B, if I had to vote, I'd give it to them! I would
                    hate to think that the only way to travel on a long train trip across
                    North America would be to travel to Canada and take VIA's Canadien.

                    I love trains, but one of the problems is cost. My wife has to go to
                    a writers conference in Taos, NM in March. The round trip airfare
                    from Pittsburgh was $230.00, the train was $1800.00. The time
                    commitment to fly was about 5 or 6 hours each way (arrive the same
                    day) vs nearly 3 days for the train.

                    I feel bad for the 1000 workers who are getting laid off.

                    Dan Owens

                    Dan Owens
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
                      Only the railfans liked the sharks because they were different.
                      Unfortunately Baldwin didn't get it right in the diesel market dominated by
                      EMD and to some extent ALCo. The PA's were sleek, probably the best looking
                      diesel ever built. I don't care for running old, worn out and poorly or
                      improperly repaired equipment. Consider the FL9's Amtrak had. I ran them
                      so I can say I did, but they're like running an old GP9, so what. I've run
                      what I think were Alco (MLW) 636's on the CB&NS, now if you want to talk
                      about a lot of locomotive those brutes were in the big leagues in their day.
                      You can only imagine what they would do when new. When I got on them they
                      were dirty and down but not out and not what you'd like to get on every day
                      if there were an new and clean alternative.

                      Look at Amtraks F40's. Saved the company from ruin and part of a fleet that
                      comprises the largest group of locomotives ever built. A fine locomotive
                      when new and maintained. Today and for the past few years that I am aware
                      many were plain crappy. They did respond as any older EMD did but they are
                      loud, dirty and uncomfortable today. I ran them when they were relatively
                      new and well maintained a few times on the CV. Once great engines.

                      Locomotives which are neither maintained properly or kept clean and painted
                      are kind of like old folks. You have to respect them for what they've
                      accomplished and all the rest, but they're only a shadow of their former
                      selves.

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 3, 2002
                        I don't expect to be looking anywhere soon, much less D&H.

                        But this IS the railroad industry and I've seen it change overnight too many
                        times in the past 36 years to spend a check not already banked. 1000
                        employees can come from the glitter around the brass in Washington and other
                        HQ's. What's being talked about is the fate of intercity. There are a lot
                        of jobs associated with keeping those overnight jobs running that can't be
                        paid for with the revenue from those trains.

                        At least thirteen engineer's jobs associated with 48 and 49 alone between
                        Boston, Albany and Buffalo.

                        PKL

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                          all the engineers I meet just want soft seats and leg room such as a wide
                          cab Paul. Thats where the Canadians win, better lights, better seats,
                          better creature comforts, even a hot plate and microwave.

                          Steve Myers
                          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                        • Knixrule1@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                            Amtrak is a political potato, started by Nixon it is still the baby of
                            the democrats. It shows the difference between the two parties belief
                            systems, one to privatize and the other to control everything. It
                            reminds me of the mess called Conrail in her early years, forever
                            creating five year plans to become profitable but couldn't wean her from
                            the free and easy tax dollars. She was the joke of the railroad industry
                            and lived with names like "different circus-same clowns". It was under
                            Reagan that Conrail was told to crap or get off the pot, Elizabeth Dole
                            as payback for Bobs help getting Ron elected, was named sec of
                            transportation. Bags of money were exchanged and out came Elizabeths
                            backing for the entire system to be sold to the NS. This created the
                            "let Conrail be Conrail" movement and turned big blue into a real
                            railroad. Amtrak is well established in New York state, and we pay very
                            high taxes for such benefits. THe northeast makes money with passenger
                            rail service but when the republicans put the squeeze on Amtrak to be
                            profitable and free of tax dollars, they turn to attract freight from
                            profitable private railroads to attach at the end of their trains.
                            Amtrak tried to bid on the UPS business and take it from the private
                            sector. Is it right for a quasi-governmental company to use your track
                            and then go after your business while supporting themselves with tax
                            dollars ? It is like the post office selling ties and coffee cups while
                            offering poor mail service and Joes Tie Shop next door has to pay
                            property taxes, sales taxes, license and registration fees but is trying
                            to make a living selling ties. Why was super steel built in Schenectady
                            county and the old turbos reserected when there was no need for the
                            factory? Why did state and local politicians flock to the ribbon
                            cutting, but now the doors are quietly closing at super steel, and who
                            payed for the little game of reviving "locomotive building in
                            Schenectady"? There will be an Amtrak and they will grow and cut back
                            depending on who runs Washington, my concern is for the working man just
                            trying to make a living and retirement. I love trains and to me, the
                            more the merrier, but Amtrak does have some problems to solve, if Uncle
                            Sam stepped in back in the 1960's to help passenger service, rather than
                            force, rape, and tax the rail industry to death while paying to build and
                            maintain roads for trucks and busses, rivers and canals for barges, and
                            airports and controllers for planes, we might have a better rail system
                            for passengers.

                          • mwilber@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                              Paul-Are you usually alone in the cab,or are there two of you like the
                              frieght jobs?Mark
                            • mwilber@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                                Steve-Dont forget arm rests,air conditioning and seats that recline.
                                Mark
                              • Richard A. Finn

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                                    Alone. Mark, you have no signals on the Susie-Q ? The D & H has to wait
                                    for a form D every time they leave Selkirk yard.

                                    Steve
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2002
                                      Steve-Only signal we have on the whole NYSW is at Chenango Forks.They
                                      just put in an automatic switch,so it to became an interlocking CP
                                      Forks.Of course when we run to NJ we have signals on the NS Southern
                                      Tier from CP BD to CP HJ. At CP HJ we then go onto the Hudson Secondary
                                      (Form D Territory) to station point Pelton.At Pelton then the tracks
                                      become the NYSW (southern Div.) all the way to Little Ferry NJ. From CP
                                      BD to CP HJ is about 130 miles and CP HJ to Pelton is about 20 miles.
                                      From Binghamton to Little Ferry is about a total 250 miles.If we have
                                      clear signals all the way we can do it in 9 hours. Mark
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                                        Canadian workers enjoy a leverage against corporate domination not known by
                                        the US worker.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                                          The Amtrak engineer is usually alone. Jobs which operate over six hours
                                          straight away receive a second engineer by contract. The Rutland job is
                                          some sort of anomaly. While operating less than six hours straight away,
                                          there is no time at Rutland during the day for a break so a second man is
                                          supplied by assigning two of the Montreal job second engineers to the train
                                          as their fifth day. There is a nother day filled out by someone and for the
                                          rest of it a man is placed on the job from the spare board. The night job
                                          is given a second engineer when the spare board is slow to work off the
                                          guarantee. On the night job we are not let out of Rutland until the VTR's
                                          Whitehall freight leaves so there is a bit of time for a mealbreak.

                                          PKL

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                                            That's important to keep in mind. A principal function of Amtrak is to
                                            provide pork in the politician's district. Pork keeps the poor folks fed
                                            and the politicians fat. Many of us decry pork but a far greater number of
                                            us live off it, not just Amtrak - everywhere. Pork is good for the US
                                            economy. Back to Canada, they call their pork socialism.

                                            It's a form of redistribution. Just depends on whose getting forked and
                                            who's eating. Everybody gets their share, rich and poor alike.
                                            Unfortunately it's the middle income earner who is paying a disproportionate
                                            share of the bill. Reagan nailed us to the cross with his tax increases,
                                            then Bush1; nasty Bill did a major restructuring with his tax package (I
                                            believe his only piece of legislation he ever got through in 8 years) when
                                            he still had a Democratic congress in 1993 when he redistributed the burde
                                            to the very wealth and corporations. He redistributed a significant amount
                                            down to the lower income levels be he too provided nothing to the working
                                            middle class (40 to 200 M)

                                            What's this got to do with railroads?

                                            PKL

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 5, 2002
                                              Paul,

                                              I have strong conservative leanings, but I agree with you. Oh the
                                              poor working man, how long can they pile these bricks on his back?

                                              Steve

                                            • cbrozek@rinstitute.org
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 19, 2002
                                                RE: [FJGRailroad] S-1/CACV
                                                Wow, I sent this two days ago!  Hey, Yahoo is about as good as the USPS!

                                                Anyone have more info on that Amtrak Autotrain crash in Crescent City, FL earlier?

                                                Chris
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 11, 2005
                                                  Much is true here, Amtrak is a democrat baby with no real reason to
                                                  tighten its belt since it is on the nipple of the taxpayer. it is a
                                                  bottomless pit, all the political appointees have been democrat clowns
                                                  like Dukakis, now Bush is bad to fill posts with republicans? It is hard
                                                  to be a train buff and watch a decline in any type of rail service, but
                                                  the choice is to cut spending somewhere or grow the government even more.
                                                  Conrail was the same scenario, don't tighten the belt because Uncle Sam
                                                  will pay the bills. It was only in the 1980's that Ronald Reagan put the
                                                  squeeze on Conrail and it turned into a well run company. My concern is
                                                  to see a good rail passenger service in America, paying fair and
                                                  competitive wages. Like the postal service or public transportation, it
                                                  will not turn a profit, so what price are we the taxpayers willing to
                                                  pay? Don't get me wrong, I feel that both parties are evil and corrupt,
                                                  but I do favor the core values of one party, too bad they don't stick to
                                                  them.

                                                  Steve

                                                • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 11, 2005
                                                    Well put Steve... couldn't agree with you more....
                                                                                                                             Phil and Sheila
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 11, 2005
                                                      The vote on the Amtrak funding bill which was overwhelmingly bi partisan
                                                      provided sufficient funding for enough years forward to protect Amtrak from
                                                      the cronyism of the Bush administration in their give away of Amtrak and its
                                                      assets. If Amtrak went bankrupt who do you think would get the Penn
                                                      Station property? The cronies who now hold the mortgage. And what of the
                                                      rest of it's assets. The name Timothy Mellon comes to mind and what his
                                                      grab was on the B&M - real estate. This water is deep.

                                                      Amtrak has issues, no denial. Much of those problems come from underfunding
                                                      of the capital needs. If amtrak were treated like the other transportation
                                                      entities funded by the national government, comparisons could more easily be
                                                      made (and they could be more easily hidden) Is rail transportation more
                                                      important to the national economy that air or highway transport? Hard to
                                                      tell but I don't believe this administration believes it is.

                                                      Thought just ran through my mind - when you talk about not trusting either
                                                      party - you know it is quite possible this administration doesn't really
                                                      care one whit what's best for the country - only what's best for themselves.

                                                      Public servants no longer see their responsibilities as public service.
                                                      They concentrate on getting reelected. Remember John Kennedy's statement:
                                                      "Ask not what my country can do for me, but what can I do for my country?"
                                                      Where is that spirit today. Appropriate on Veterans Day when men, who long
                                                      ago passed the age when men went to war, are now taken from established jobs
                                                      and growing families to possibly die for our freedom. I hope we will all
                                                      say thank you when we meet a young man or woman who has served. (That's
                                                      from my perspective. Some of you who read this may find those serving
                                                      overseas today are half a generation older than you.)

                                                      PKL