Re: WTEN Tower

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2000
      Yes, it's true.

      This was quite the tower, allegedly taller than the Empire State Building.
      Before Channel 10 actually went on the air, I think summer of 57, may have
      been a bit earlier or a year later, can't remember how old I was for sure,
      myself and a friend started up that tower going to the top. We got to the
      twenty-third section on the ladder that went up the middle of the tower
      before we were caught. I can remember being wowed by the view. We had gone
      out on our bikes to see the tower, which at that time was not yet fenced in.
      There were some other kids at the base also, and they, I presume, are the
      ones who notified the tech, in the building there, that we were on our way
      up. I remember him telling us that if we had fallen they would have to pick
      us up with a blotter. We passed two (maybe three) rest sections. These
      were grated areas that filled the entire triangle between the outer frame
      members, except where the ladder went through. We would swap positions on
      the ladder at these locations. I guess the sections to be between 10 and 15
      feet each. Needless to say we were up there and could just barely hear the
      guy yelling at us from the ground. If I remember there were three sections
      to a color band. I don't know when they put the fence around it but the next
      time we went out (to get to the top that time) the fence was up. People
      didn't lock there doors back then either.

      PKL