Re: [FJGRailroad] mileposts

  • Knixrule1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
      Mileposts are to pay you by the mile when youre on a train, to mark areas
      of track for maintenance or emergencies. Each bridge is marked by a
      milepost such as 205.22, even signals are marked. sometimes they just
      paint it on the bridge itself. Even the thruway uses mileposts every
      1/10 of a mile.

      Steve Myers

      .

      On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:09:05 -0600 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
      writes:
      > This is going to be a stupid question for you lifelong railroad men,
      > but
      > here it is
      > anyway! What exactly is the reason for mileposts? Is it to help
      > you guys
      > know
      > where you are? I figure you know your location just by repetition!
      > Is it
      > to help
      > in reporting derailments? I'm sure the reason goes back to early
      > railroading...
      >
      > Gino
      >
      > > ----------

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
        All of the above. Like any measure they permit you to identify the location
        of things.

        Pkl

      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
          Gino-Mile posts are very important on our line.We dont have signals so
          every move is made by written permission (FORM D) from one point to
          another.When Form D's are issued they will instruct the train to move
          from a certain mile post to another mile post.Also a station point may
          be used.Mile posts are also used to show where the speeds are
          different.Thats how Paul knows where he can do 135mph or 100mph. But
          there is a lot more to it. Mark
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2002
            Mark,

            I figured there was more to mile posts than just identifying where
            you are in an emergency! Where and when do you receive Form D's?
            Are they like your train orders?