Re: [FJGRailroad] mileposts

  • Randy & Lorraine
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
      If there is an accident or for any reason an ambulance or other authorities
      need to be called then the mile
      post is the best way to let others, who may not be as familiar with the RR,
      a way to reach the scene at a reasonable rate?? Just a guess??
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
        Mileposts are to pay you by the mile when youre on a train, to mark areas
        of track for maintenance or emergencies. Each bridge is marked by a
        milepost such as 205.22, even signals are marked. sometimes they just
        paint it on the bridge itself. Even the thruway uses mileposts every
        1/10 of a mile.

        Steve Myers

        .

        On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:09:05 -0600 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
        writes:
        > This is going to be a stupid question for you lifelong railroad men,
        > but
        > here it is
        > anyway! What exactly is the reason for mileposts? Is it to help
        > you guys
        > know
        > where you are? I figure you know your location just by repetition!
        > Is it
        > to help
        > in reporting derailments? I'm sure the reason goes back to early
        > railroading...
        >
        > Gino
        >
        > > ----------

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
          All of the above. Like any measure they permit you to identify the location
          of things.

          Pkl

        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
            Gino-Mile posts are very important on our line.We dont have signals so
            every move is made by written permission (FORM D) from one point to
            another.When Form D's are issued they will instruct the train to move
            from a certain mile post to another mile post.Also a station point may
            be used.Mile posts are also used to show where the speeds are
            different.Thats how Paul knows where he can do 135mph or 100mph. But
            there is a lot more to it. Mark
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2002
              Mark,

              I figured there was more to mile posts than just identifying where
              you are in an emergency! Where and when do you receive Form D's?
              Are they like your train orders?