mileposts

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
      This is going to be a stupid question for you lifelong railroad men, but
      here it is
      anyway! What exactly is the reason for mileposts? Is it to help you guys
      know
      where you are? I figure you know your location just by repetition! Is it
      to help
      in reporting derailments? I'm sure the reason goes back to early
      railroading...

      Gino

      > ----------

    • Randy & Lorraine
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
        If there is an accident or for any reason an ambulance or other authorities
        need to be called then the mile
        post is the best way to let others, who may not be as familiar with the RR,
        a way to reach the scene at a reasonable rate?? Just a guess??

      • Knixrule1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
          Mileposts are to pay you by the mile when youre on a train, to mark areas
          of track for maintenance or emergencies. Each bridge is marked by a
          milepost such as 205.22, even signals are marked. sometimes they just
          paint it on the bridge itself. Even the thruway uses mileposts every
          1/10 of a mile.

          Steve Myers

          .

          On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:09:05 -0600 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
          writes:
          > This is going to be a stupid question for you lifelong railroad men,
          > but
          > here it is
          > anyway! What exactly is the reason for mileposts? Is it to help
          > you guys
          > know
          > where you are? I figure you know your location just by repetition!
          > Is it
          > to help
          > in reporting derailments? I'm sure the reason goes back to early
          > railroading...
          >
          > Gino
          >
          > > ----------

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
            All of the above. Like any measure they permit you to identify the location
            of things.

            Pkl

          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
              Gino-Mile posts are very important on our line.We dont have signals so
              every move is made by written permission (FORM D) from one point to
              another.When Form D's are issued they will instruct the train to move
              from a certain mile post to another mile post.Also a station point may
              be used.Mile posts are also used to show where the speeds are
              different.Thats how Paul knows where he can do 135mph or 100mph. But
              there is a lot more to it. Mark
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2002
                Mark,

                I figured there was more to mile posts than just identifying where
                you are in an emergency! Where and when do you receive Form D's?
                Are they like your train orders?