WTEN Tower

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2000
      You all may or may not know that the WTEN Transmitter was originally located
      outside Broadalbin because the station was short spaced with WPRI in Providence.
      This was from about 1955 until about 1962 ?? on year. The tower was over 1300 feet
      tall so the line of sight of signal could be "seen" in the Hudson Valley. When
      the station was able to move the transmitter to the Helderberg Mountains, the
      original tower went out on a string of flatcars in 50 foot sections. I never saw this, I heard about
      it and assume it to be true. The load point I believe was the team track where
      Rt. 30 crossed the ROW.

      Saul
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2000
        Yes, it's true.

        This was quite the tower, allegedly taller than the Empire State Building.
        Before Channel 10 actually went on the air, I think summer of 57, may have
        been a bit earlier or a year later, can't remember how old I was for sure,
        myself and a friend started up that tower going to the top. We got to the
        twenty-third section on the ladder that went up the middle of the tower
        before we were caught. I can remember being wowed by the view. We had gone
        out on our bikes to see the tower, which at that time was not yet fenced in.
        There were some other kids at the base also, and they, I presume, are the
        ones who notified the tech, in the building there, that we were on our way
        up. I remember him telling us that if we had fallen they would have to pick
        us up with a blotter. We passed two (maybe three) rest sections. These
        were grated areas that filled the entire triangle between the outer frame
        members, except where the ladder went through. We would swap positions on
        the ladder at these locations. I guess the sections to be between 10 and 15
        feet each. Needless to say we were up there and could just barely hear the
        guy yelling at us from the ground. If I remember there were three sections
        to a color band. I don't know when they put the fence around it but the next
        time we went out (to get to the top that time) the fence was up. People
        didn't lock there doors back then either.

        PKL